Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Only the ones I’m not going to eat.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • No I don’t name them

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Only the ones I can tell apart.

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters
Occasionally I call them something based on some trait that really stands out. A very friendly Ameraucana with prominent muffs or "mutton chops" we called Mutter or Mutt. She came when you called her name. Friendly chick that was a single hatchling was called Little Red, and so on. But the friendly ones get picked off by predators more readily since they are less flighty. I really don't name them or think of them as pets anymore. I refer to them by a trait if I'm telling my husband about one, such as "the jabbery red".

Let your kids or the neighbour kids name them. We have: Buff and Buff Mountain ( buff orps), Specky and Becky (speckled Sussex), Wide Load (fat Rainbow Dixie), Sapphire (Blue Sapphire), the ISA’s (catch all name for the ISA’s we have-no names yet) Midnight (black Jersey Giant), Reddy (Rhode island red), Blue (the other blue sapphire. this is our autistic daughters chicken. All of our chickens have been amazing for her autism….)

I have 20+ chickens. All have names. Suttle differences help me tell who is who. Size differences, feathers may be slightly different etc. I name them after getting to know their unique personalities.

I am already thinking of possible names for the chicks I’m picking up this week. So my question is, do you name your chickens? How do you decide on names? If you have multiple of the same breed, how do you tell them apart?
Thanks for participating!
We only have our first four hens this summer. They’ll be layers only so yes, I did name them. Each has a name from the show Supernatural. I’m lucky enough that they are different enough to tell apart just by looking. You can get colored bird bands for their legs to tell them apart if they all look similar.

For me, naming is mainly about the personality so it takes time and observation to come up with a unique name.....

Bag Lady: If you're carrying a bag and not paying attention, she will jump up to 3 feet in the air to grab a mouthful of the bag bottom to rip it open and wait for whatever goodies spill from the opening

El Chopo: She is a master of escape from the 1 acre enclosure. I also believe she pays off the armadillos, marsh bunnies, and gopher tortoises to help her by digging an opening under the fencing.

Wacky Whitey: What can I say - she's just nuts! Scared of everything, always running around yelling "The sky is falling! The sky is falling."

Whiney Whitey: Wacky's daughter who whines nonstop at the top of her lungs for 1/2 an hour before and after each egg is laid. It's her first year and I'm hoping the novelty of egg laying will wear off and she'll shut up.

SweetiePie: From the day she hatched to today she climbs right up into my lap or stands statue still, eyes closed, while I tickle her throat.

However, sometimes you know what their name is just by looking at them.....

Flathead: Her funny looking come gives her a completely flat head.

Puffhead: She must have some Araucana in her background because she has big puffs in front of each ear and a big of puffiness on the top of her head. She's pure black with luminous feathers like boat-tailed grackles and lays beautiful olive green to almost turquoise eggs.

and so on and so on!

We have 8 hens. 2 are mixed breeds, and 6 are Barred Rocks. Unlike my previous batch of PBR's, 4 of these 6 are almost identical and very difficult to tell apart visually. We used colored zip ties on the right leg of each to tell them apart at a glance. Put them on loose enough to not bind their legs, but tight enough to not fall off or irritate them.

They all have names, most named after aunts, grandmothers, sisters, etc.

Back
Top Bottom