Narcolepsy and other odd "new chick" behavior - normal?!

riqui1

Songster
10 Years
Jun 2, 2009
Okay, this is my first time with chicks and I have 7 silkies. They are 3-days to one week old. My first question is whether or not these chicks should show symptoms of narcolepsy. I find it very cute, but slightly disturbing, that they will all be milling around and then, all of a sudden, a few of them are about falling over, fast asleep! Is this normal?

Then, to add to my dismay, I have one little chick that seems to be having problems. First of all, he doesn't lift his head. As he walks around, he is constantly looking down at the ground, as if he is looking for food. Then, all of a sudden, his little head will tuck down between his legs and he will roll around/flail for a moment. Then, he gets back up and starts over. What could be causing this? My son asked if maybe he had something stuck to the feathers on his belly that he was trying to get off, but...

I apologize if I am just being silly or over-protective with these questions, but I wanted to find out if I am already having problems on our second day or if there is nothing abnormal in this! I hope it is the latter!

Thank you for any help, even if it is to tell me not to worry!

yes its normal, funny isnt it.

try giving the one that cant straighten some Poly-vi-sol liquid with out added iron vitamins (for human infants can be found anywhere) give a few drops to chick and put a few drops in their water each day for a few days and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Whew!! Thank you! Now that I know that it is normal, it is one of the cutest things that I have ever seen. I wish I could fall asleep that easily...well...maybe not!

I will get the vitamins this evening and get that into their water! Thank you very much for the help and the peace of mind!

Okay, I have come to accept the narcolepsy part of their being as cute, but this one chick...I just can't see his behavior as normal. Then, my son told me just now that when he went to check on them, this morning, he found one of the chicks (presumably this one) stuck in the feeder. The chick had his head through the hole that they are supposed to eat through and was coming out the other side, but with his wings caught in other holes (I hope that makes sense. I have one of those long feeders that has multiple holes down each side.). Is it possible that he hurt his back or his neck? What would one do in a situation like that?

I had to clean the poor little thing's eyes out, as he is rubbing his head on the ground so much, his eyes were full of feed. I took a video of how he is moving/acting, but I am not sure if there is a way to post it so that anyone can see.

Does this still sound okay? Any ideas on how to help him, if there is a problem?

YouTube account would be the easiest way -- they're very easy to use.

Poor thing ain't too bright, is he? That's a hole for food, not a tunnel.

Oh! Thank you! I never even thought of You Tube. And thankfully my husband, not only, already has an account set up, but his password and username were easy to guess! lol

I have posted the video here:

(I hope that works!)

Again, I appreciate anything anyone has to offer. Thank you, in advance!

I was just going to do a search on narcolepsy, and here you are, right at the top! I have three Seramas born on Thursday, and they do the same thing. They chirp, peck at the walls and each other, then suddenly start drooping and drifting off to sleep. I found one of them at the edge of the water dish, resting it's head on a rock! So glad it's normal, because otherwise I'd have to consider feeling bad about laughing at them.

I just saw Poor Chick's video. I think he needs a chiropractor. His feet and legs look okay, but he's way off balance. If he can't get his head up, he'll have a hard time drinking. He may need help with an eye dropper. And seriously, if you know a chiropractor, ask if he might look at the chick for you. He should do it for free just to have a crazy story to tell everyone!

The narcolepsy is totally normal. I find it fun to watch them just fall over and in some of the most odd positions.
I watched the video and I must say, I've had quite a few chicks come through my doors and I've never seen any of them do that.

I watched the video.

My gosh. Yes, something seems to be wrong with him.

I hope everyone will not think I am too hard hearted, but I would probably cull the poor little thing.

But maybe someone else will know what it is.

Catherine

Back
Top Bottom