Nare Growth/Crusty Wattles?

MMARC234

Chirping
May 18, 2020
SW Louisiana
Just went through our first true freeze(s) of the year and I was checking out everybody and noticed something weird about my male Black Polish.

He has some odd nare growth going on, plus some crusting and dry looking wattles. I’m guessing the wattles are from the cold af weather, but I’m at a loss as to what those growths could be. I know some birds can get them, but this seems a bit excessive.

Attachments

• 4BE618A3-76EC-4280-B04F-2E65E1B5EAE0.jpeg
    4BE618A3-76EC-4280-B04F-2E65E1B5EAE0.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 11
  • 62CF5C7F-6FB5-4B51-9589-AF0D848CF873.jpeg
    62CF5C7F-6FB5-4B51-9589-AF0D848CF873.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 2
How cold has it been the last week? Is the crust on the comb on wattles or perhaps it is dried feed plus dirt and mucus? If it is comb, then it cold be frostbite on the comb and wattles. Unless temps have been close to zero, it probably is not frostbite. Are the nostrils open and clear?

How cold has it been the last week? Is the crust on the comb on wattles or perhaps it is dried feed plus dirt and mucus? If it is comb, then it cold be frostbite on the comb and wattles. Unless temps have been close to zero, it probably is not frostbite. Are the nostrils open and clear?
It’s been anywhere from 19-40F for the past week. It just started warming up day before yesterday. Anything below 30 is pretty much unheard of down here in the winter. They’re also in a protected run, so I have no idea what the crust could be.

Hopefully it’s just Axl being gross with his food. I’ll go check and see if his nostrils are clear— I think they were when I looked, but I’m not positive.

It’s been anywhere from 19-40F for the past week. It just started warming up day before yesterday. Anything below 30 is pretty much unheard of down here in the winter. They’re also in a protected run, so I have no idea what the crust could be.

Hopefully it’s just Axl being gross with his food. I’ll go check and see if his nostrils are clear— I think they were when I looked, but I’m not positive.
Just checked- his nostrils are clear.

I don’t think this is frostbite with those temperatures. I would work on trying to see if the material will come off the beak. Soaking it with QTips, soapy water, and applying a few drops of hydrogen peroxide to the beak, to see if it softens and will come off. If not, it may be some sort of a growth. Also try to get the material off the wattle area. Let us know what you find. Feed can become almost like concrete sometimes. What do you feed? Do you moisten or ferment feed?

Back
Top Bottom