Narragansett turkeys with leg wounds - scaly mites or ???

Just wanted to update you on the turkeys with infected feet. One tom recovered completely without being isolated or receiving antibiotics. The other tom appears much better but is still limping. He's not picking at his feet any more so I think that indicates the active infection is over and he's starting to heal. The hen still has lesions, one of which is dried up. She's still picking at the other foot, but there's been no pus for many days now, and she's been on Tylan for 2 weeks now. The two that are isolated eat chick crumble wetted down with the antibiotic water. I am thinking about turning the tom back out into the flock soon but am waiting for his limp to go away. I also am reluctant to have the hen completely isolated with no companion. That is so stressful for turkeys. She is still eating, drinking, and isn't getting worse. Amazing she didn't lose any toes, so I'm still hoping that she will start getting visibly better soon.

Just wanted to update you on the turkeys with infected feet. One tom recovered completely without being isolated or receiving antibiotics. The other tom appears much better but is still limping. He's not picking at his feet any more so I think that indicates the active infection is over and he's starting to heal. The hen still has lesions, one of which is dried up. She's still picking at the other foot, but there's been no pus for many days now, and she's been on Tylan for 2 weeks now. The two that are isolated eat chick crumble wetted down with the antibiotic water. I am thinking about turning the tom back out into the flock soon but am waiting for his limp to go away. I also am reluctant to have the hen completely isolated with no companion. That is so stressful for turkeys. She is still eating, drinking, and isn't getting worse. Amazing she didn't lose any toes, so I'm still hoping that she will start getting visibly better soon.

Thank you for the update.

Glad you have one recovered completely. Sounds like the other two are on their way.
Can you keep the one Tom that is still recovering with the hen so she's not so stressed?

Yes, I did keep them together. Turkeys are so social - one of the things I like about them. Both birds doing fine, the female has some scarring, but she's going to be processed in a few weeks and is doing fine with the flock. And whew, I'm so glad this is over. Tylan manufacturer website said it still works for staph, and it did. This was a scary problem and took time to resolve. Important to keep the dosing level high and not let it drop off until the infection is really gone. I really hope this treatment doesn't become ineffective due to resistance! Thank you to everyone who advised and encouraged.

Yes, I did keep them together. Turkeys are so social - one of the things I like about them. Both birds doing fine, the female has some scarring, but she's going to be processed in a few weeks and is doing fine with the flock. And whew, I'm so glad this is over. Tylan manufacturer website said it still works for staph, and it did. This was a scary problem and took time to resolve. Important to keep the dosing level high and not let it drop off until the infection is really gone. I really hope this treatment doesn't become ineffective due to resistance! Thank you to everyone who advised and encouraged.

Thanks for the update
smile.png

I am happy to hear they are doing well and I'm sure your information will help others in the future.

One last update about 2 months after the birds got infected, mainly for any future turkey-owners who need to deal with something like this. All 3 are fine. Yesterday I looked for the hen that had the worst joint swelling with deep lesions and abscesses, and was amazed that she had so little scarring I could hardly tell which one she was. As horrible as her feet looked, it's hard to believe she healed so completely. The resilience of heirloom turkeys is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom