Narrowed down search...now need help with choosing please.

mommas chickens

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Spring Creek, NV
Ok I took one gals advice and picked the breeds I liked by color, then the qualitys that I was mostly looking for in chickens to add in with my 2 buff orpingtons and 2 easter eggers. I have list below any on-hands advice with any of these would be helpful! Thanks!
smile.png

Light Brahma
Australorp
Delaware
Black Copper Marans
Silver Laced Wyandotte

Australorps!! I love my aussie
big_smile.png

Brahmas seem to be very docile birds to me. I've only had 1 wyandotte, she is good, but she does not like to be picked up. Not sure if that's just her or the breed.

Silver Laced Wyandottes and Delawares are really great. My Wyandotte, once she started laying, became the sweetest thing. She was a bit shy up until that point. She follows me everywhere, and her pattern is just so beautiful! My Delaware makes me chase her around the yard, and is my blueberry thief, and sneaks into the scratch bin if I leave the lid off, but I like her spunk. She is a FABULOUS mouser. She's caught more mice than my two cats combined, and she's a good layer. The bright white color is a nice addition to the black, and buff colored hens. Yes, I like pretty hens too, and ones that are sweet and lay lots of eggs.

Yes, Australorps are wonderful... I have 2 that I dearly love. Since you've already gotten good review for them, I thought I'd chime in on the others.

I don't have any experience with Brahmas or Marans. Another pretty color are the Speckled Sussex. I like that rich mahogany color that they have. I just got a Light Sussex pullet. She's really pretty, and so far is quite happy and easy going.

Have fun with your chickens!

I don't have any input for you but had to add… you live in the same place as my sister!!
wee.gif
If only everyone knew how small Spring Creek really is, they'd know how amazing that is!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom