NASHVILLE, TN / METRO DAVIDSON COUNTY POULTRY ORDINANCES

Looks like I was wrong. I spoke with 2 council members and they informed me that the proposed chicken bill revision was turned down. : (

Hi All. I live outside of Nashville- Just North. We have 7 chickens in a brooder right now in our garage, and a coop outside waiting for them. They are so cute and we are very excited to add them to our family and to eventually have our own eggs right in our back yard--but we have just found out that we also are not aloud to have them. This was just brought up in our city meeting. What to do now?

This email has just been posted to "our" Nashville network of politically minded chicken supporters. This is another avenue to network into the community of like-minded people. All are invited to continue our cause. Some of you are on the same track of thinking as our small committee to see this become a reality. The Community Food Advocate Office has graciously offered their office person/people and space for our organization and meetings. If you are able to attend, please send supporters that will bring word back and help organize within your area to make this council meeting successful.

Thank you and see you in ten days....
Alyce

Hello Urban Chicken Lovers,

Alyce Dobyns, Stewart Clifton, and a few others besides myself have been meeting to strategize next steps in the effort toward making back-yard chickens more than just an urban myth in Nashville. A member of Metro Council has expressed an interest in sponsoring legislation to further the cause and we are ready to meet to talk next steps. We want your input!

Our organizational meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, November 3, 7 pm at the Community Food Advocates offices. (415 4th Avenue South, Ste. B. It will be on your right. You can park in the front parking lot or drive around back and park in the concrete bricked parking lot & come into the door at the top of the tallest stairs.)

Please respond to let me know if you are planning to attend the organizational meeting and we will look forward to seeing you!

Best Regards,
Brian Zralek

Program Director - Hunger, Food Access and Policy
Community Food Advocates
415 4th Avenue South, Ste. B
Nashville, TN 37201
(615) 385-2286 - p
(615) 730-7225 - f
www.communityfoodadvocates.org

I would like additional information on this if anyone knows the status on keeping chickens in Davidson County.

Thanks,

Just an UPDATE.
I am sure people of Davidson County know this already but there is a new Urban Chicken Ordinance that has been introduced to the Metro Council. It is being hotly debated. It will come up to a final vote in January. The local advocacy group, UCAN (Urban Chicken Advocates of Nashville) is trying hard to get people to write in the the city Council Members to encourage them to support this ordinance. If you want to learn more about the Ordinance please join the UCAN facebook page HERE -> https://www.facebook.com/UCANUrbanChickenAdvocatesofNashville
They have links to the Council emails, a sample letter and links to read the Ordinance and it's rules. (acreage/number limitation, no roosters, predator proof fence, fee, etc)
Please share this information with anyone in the Davidson County area that you know.

Michele

In Davidson County there are some very dedicated peeps fighting the good fight!

There are a hand full of City Council members who still need to support the proposed hen ordinance, so everyone needs to contact their council members and encourage them to support this ordinance. Contact your sustainably minded friends as well and ask them to contact their council people as well. The critical second reading and vote is January 3rd, 2012. For more information visit UCAN (UrbanChickenAdvocates of Nashville)Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/UCANUrbanChickenAdvocatesofNashville)

In the meantime there is a Planning Board meeting tonight...

Metro Planning Commission discusses the hen ordinance TODAY (Thursday Dec 8th, 2011) at 4:00-- 700 2nd Ave S, Howard School Auditorium. Put on your yellow UCAN shirt and come down to show support for the bill! Shirts are available at Community Food Advocates for a minimum $25 donation, or you can just wear something yellow.
smile.png

Michele

The 2nd reading for the Nashville Urban Chicken Ordinance is Tuesday, January 3, 2012 at 6pm at the Metro Courthouse. If you can attend, please wear yellow to show you support of the bill. I believe everyone is allowed 1 minute to speak if you wish to do so.

Also, this week is an email campaign week. Please take a moment to to write your councilperson and all five at-large council members in support of urban hens.

Find out your district and council member contact info here: I couldn't include links so just do a Google search for Nashville metro council members.

Here is a link to the proposed legislation: I couldn't include links so just do a Google search for ORDINANCE NO. BL2011-47.

Then, write a brief note to your district councilperson explaining why you support the urban hen ordinance, BL2011-47. Be sure to include your address and something about voting yes for the urban chicken bill in the subject line.

If you already know that your council member is supportive, please thank them for their support of BL2011-47. If you receive feedback from a council member indicating that they are undecided or need more information, please share that with us at [email protected] and we will follow up with them.

Feel free to copy and paste the following (and personalize it!):

As one of your constituents, I am writing to encourage you to support the urban hen ordinance, BL2011-47. This ordinance is a step toward a more sustainable food supply in Nashville, and it provides sensible guidelines to ensure that hens are kept in the best conditions. Nashville is ready to join cities all across the country in supporting healthier food and creating a healthier community.

Good afternoon all! For those in Metro Nashville/Davidson County, remember your council meeting is tonight at 6! You have a famous fellow chickener attending on your behalf, too! Check it out - -

From The Tennessean's Michael Cass, December 28:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author Archives: Michael Cass

The Chicken Whisperer (sorry, I can’t reproduce the trademark symbol) is coming!
Posted on December 28, 2011 by Michael Cass

I tweeted @tnmetro some 45 minutes ago about a press release we received in the newsroom after I left tonight from a guy who calls himself “The Chicken Whisperer.” I think I got more replies, retweets and hashtag offers than I would have gotten if I had reported that Mayor Karl Dean was quitting to become the strength and conditioning coach of the Boston Red Sox.

So here’s a little more. The Chicken Whisperer – whose release routinely puts the trademark symbol right behind those three magical words – is apparently Andy Schneider of Ideal, Ga., not too far from Macon, my hometown in the middle of the Peach State.

Schneider is coming to Nashville on Tuesday to cluck about the benefits of domesticated chickens at the Metro Council public hearing on a bill that would make it easier for urban dwellers to keep hens. This alone should make it the greatest public hearing in Music City since the halcyon days of the May Town Center debate.

Here’s the press release from The Chicken Whisperer:

The Chicken Whisperer™ is coming to Nashville!

The Chicken Whisperer™ will be speaking at the Nashville City Council meeting and broadcasting live from Davidson Farmers Cooperative.

Nashville, TN (December 28, 2011) – The backyard chicken movement is sweeping the nation and Nashville is no exception. There are many advantages of keeping a small backyard flock of chickens and you no longer have to live on a farm to benefit from these advantages. As the nation’s leading expert on the backyard chicken movement, the Chicken Whisperer™ shares his knowledge with others about how to start small backyard flocks of chickens the right way the first time without having to re-invent the wheel.

The Chicken Whisperer™ will be broadcasting live at the Davidson Farmers Cooperative on Tuesday, January 3rd from 11:00am CST to 12:30pm CST. He will also be speaking at the Nashville City Council meeting on Tuesday, January 3rd at 6:00pm.

Andy Schneider, better known as the Chicken Whisperer™, has become the go-to guy across the country for anything chickens. He is the host of the very popular, Backyard Poultry with the Chicken Whisperer radio show, National Spokesperson for the USDA-APHIS Bio-Security for Birds Program, and author of, The Chicken Whisperer’s Guide to Keeping Chickens. He has been featured on CNN, FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, as well as in TIME Magazine, The Wall Street Journal, The Economist, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, and countless other publications. For more information visit http://www.chickenwhisperer.com

Thanks,

Andy G. Schneider
Chicken Whisperer

Chicken Whisperer, Inc.
P.O. Box 95
Ideal, Georgia 31041

This entry was posted in Local and tagged Metro Council, The Chicken Whisperer. Bookmark the permalink.
[URL]http://blogs.tennessean.com/po...ce-the-trademark-symbol-is-coming/#more-15615http://

Last edited:
OK I got this email to forward so this is as good as it gets for me.... send this email to the address for [email protected]

To: [email protected]
Subject: BL2011-47

Esteemed Men and Women of the Council,
Please put BL2011-47 in the hands of the citizens to decide whether or not to have backyard chickens. By passing this bill, you will not be asked to re-address this issue every two years until it finally reaches an amiable resolution. Allowing each citizen to decide is fair, and much like other personal decisions - such as whether or not to have dogs and cats, etc.
Thank you so much for all that you do.

So this comes up every two years? Really!? that is confusing ... if this goes before the voters boy do we have some educating to do!

Back
Top Bottom