Nasty broody

SunAngel

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Chambersburg, Pa.
Well I think my first attempt at having a broody hen failed somewhat. Out of 9 eggs, she hatched 3 little healthy cuties. But I must not have the right set up or need a separate coop and pen for mom and babies.

She was fine while she was just sitting on the eggs, but after they hatched she became a possessed monster. I tried leaving her in the big coop, didn't work...big chickens kept coming near her and she would attack. So I moved her and the babies to the juvenile coop. This morning my 4 five week olds that were in the same coop area came down from their perch to eat, momma went balistic! She doesn't just chase other chickens off, she attacks and keeps after them, cornering them and being horribly mean. Pretty much stepping all over her own babies in the process.

I finally got fed up and took the babies away from her. Put her back with the big girls and put her 3 chicks in with my little Mille Fleur babies. I just didn't know what else to do.

I was prepared for her to give a few pecks or growls to keep other chickens away, but not for her to chase, corner and go in for the kill.

She needs her own space. I have one dependable, very experienced biddy who will take her chicks out of the coop and fenced pasture every day and goes back at night. She flies over the fence and the peeps scramble underneath. This hen is a spitfire with anything other than me when she has chicks.

If yours is a first time biddy she may get too distracted with battling other chickens rather than pay attention to her chicks. Seperate them ASAP.

I had a hen that would do that as well. She is the reason my chickens started to free range sooner than planned. She would not let any of them get off the roost, to eat, drink, or whatever. She was a very good mama. I bought her with 15 chicks (she was an OEGB red pyle hen), and she didn't lose a single one free ranging! But I did have to let them all out, or she would have been the cause of many deaths I'm sure.

Well I split up her and the babies this time. I have other chicks right now, so they have friends in the brooder to grow up with. She is one of my only 3 laying hens, so hopefully she will go back to laying eggs soon.

I will get a coop/run built just for broody hens for the Spring. I can't get it done right now in time for her and these 3 chicks. Live and learn I guess. I never anticipated this happening. I had hoped she would just keep the chicks with her and keep to herself. But no such luck.

Quote:
I would have done the same thing.
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Tractors work well too. That is what I use for mine. They are 3x3x8, and split in half down the center, making each cell 4 feet long. That is plenty of room for my little banty families!

Back
Top Bottom