1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nasty Dog Ears

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Damummis, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Poor Spike has some NASTY ears going on. I have been cleaning them with olive oil but they are really gross. Crusty, cracking and smell horrid.

Any advise. I would prefer NOT taking him to the vet. I is poor. [​IMG]

2. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    Bad smell usually inicates yeast infection.

Flush his ears with vinegar/water solution.

After baths, use a bit of alchol to make sure the ears will dry out in case any water gets in there.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:I have been putting wild salmon oil in his food for mine, not sure if it will help, but it may be worth a shot
    The weird thing about mine is that the yuckies alternate ears every year - one year left ear, next year right.

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Black yuck inside?

Most likely yeast, and yeasty yuck is a good sign that they are having issues with some sort of allergy, most likely food. Try switching to a higher quality food, or one without corn, or at most, one without grains.

If it's just really dry and owies, and he's got dry skin too, get a big ol' bottle of Vit E caps, and either give a couple a day, or squeeze them out over his food (ours eats them like treats, I give them to her in the winter for dry skin).

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Petsmart sells an ear drop that is supposed to be even better for yucky dog ears than the stuff the vet sells, which is pretty darn good, by the way.

Of the home remedies above, vets will tell you to skip the alcohol. I used to use it, too, but besides being painful, it is too drying to the tissues.

What gets going in there is a mix of fungus, mold, bacteria, ear mites and their poop, etc. Look for drops with several ingredients.

6. naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    Yeast thrives on carbs, and all commercial dog food has carbs. Get rid of carbs, and you will probably get rid of yeast. Feeding a raw diet of only meat, bones and organs will totaly clear up bad ears.

7. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    A couple of things to do. Dogs with bad ears commonly come from breeds that are drop eared and that have hair growing in the ear canals. Typically poodles, cockers and their mixes are notorious for the problem. The hair traps moisture and allows nasties to grow. If your dog has hair in his ear canals, you must get it removed on a regular basis, either by a vet or groomer. You can do the procedure yourself, if you get some kelly forceps and if your dog is cooperative. You can get kelly forceps from eBay or Amazon. Some pet supply houses carry them. Get someone (vet or groomer) to show you how to pluck the ears yourself.

Dogs can have ear infections without the hair of course. One of the main causes involves allergies, usually to food. You may need to change diet to keep the problem from coming back.

Here are a couple of homemade ear washes that are effective and relatively inexpensive:

1/3 c rubbing alcohol
    1/3 cup Witch Hazel
    1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
    a few drops of Tea Tree oil (the expensive kind from a health food store)

Put in an applicator bottle and squirt some in the ear then use cotton swabs
    to clean out the mess this loosens. A few times of using this and the ears
    are clean and clear of yeast infections.

The other is a blue ear wash:

16 oz. of 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
    4 tbsp. of boric acid powder
    6 drops of 1 percent gentian violet solution
    Substitute witch hazel for the alcohol is the ears are severely inflamed or
    sore.

Mix and add a squirt to each ear. Gentian violet is a dye and will stain hair and skin, so be aware.

8. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Quote:For those that have never purchased it, just go to your local drugstore (I've gotten mine from RiteAid), and ask the pharmacist. If they don't have it, they will order it.

9. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Here's a you tube video on how to remove doggy ear hair:

10. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    What kind of dog? How is the skin generally on the whole body? Is it a black goopy discharge or a tannish discharge? Is he itchy?

Pulling ear hair, if he's a breed with ear hair isn't always recommended - depends on the particular dog. Used to be vets and groomers yanked all ear hair but times have changed. Sometimes you increase the irritation and cause more problems doing that. But sometimes it needs to be pulled to increase air flow. So that's a case by case basis.

If the ears are irritated and cracked, alcohol is way too drying and will hurt! Please avoid using anything like that unless the ear is completely normal and you are doing routine cleaning, and even then doing that can upset the natural balance of a healthy ear and initiate a problem. People will swear it works, and I've used it for routine cleanings occasionally but then its at most a 10% solution, never full strength.

You may not need a vet, but you need to have a better idea of what the problem is before you just go wild cleaning and putting stuff in there.

Good luck... ears can be such a pain (for you and the dog!) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by