Nasty hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tigerkitten45, May 19, 2010.

1. tigerkitten45

tigerkitten45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Hi, I'm hoping i can get some advice. I have a red cochin bantam, unsure if it's a roo or a alpha hen, but i have caught her picking on the feathers of others, and today she had ahold of my older silkie, needless to say i had a long talk with her while she was hanging upside down. She has made it to the top of my rehome list! My DH said to put her in with his meaties but i told him no.....i don't think they are old enough to defend themselves even though they are way bigger, is there any way to stop this behavior? She seems to be particularly attracted to the fuzz feathers on my silkie and the ones who are still in the process of feathering out.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. wawafiveseven

wawafiveseven Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Is she molting? Maybe lack of protein if shes eating feathers.
    You could also separate her for a little while - would be my suggestion.
  3. detali

detali Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Yes, separate her for a while from the other chickens she has been with. A small wire cage with food and water would be fine. Keep in in sight of the other chickens so they can see each other. In the meantime the other chickens will grow more and establish their own pecking order. Then when you finally allow this chicken prisoner back in with them she will be at the bottom of the pecking order and will have to establish her place again. That should do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by