Natural Brooding question

Lanicus

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I have a hen that hatched out ONE chick and I was wondering how low the temperature can get outside before I need to move them inside or put them somewhere out of the cold?

I have a hen that hatched out ONE chick and I was wondering how low the temperature can get outside before I need to move them inside or put them somewhere out of the cold?
They will be fine!, The mother can supply all the heat the chick needs. Also she will take it inside when it starts to get dark, you can help her if the chick doesn't know how to get into the shed. You can give her some mixed corn to make the temperature of her broody pouch rise if you want.

The chick will be fine. My first broody of the spring had three chicks while there was still snow on the ground. The chicks scooted around outside like water bugs, then ran back under Mama to keep warm.

Just let the Mama do her thing. Mine was so smart--the chicks were hatched in an outside broody pen, but she decided they all had to live in the straw in the goat barn. So she took them in there, and made a nest, and they still all bed down there every night. For two weeks, she didn't let them leave the barn. Then, as it got warmer, she took them out more and more. Now she takes them outside every day (temps in the 50's).

Mama birds have good instincts, trust your Mama Bird to do the right thing.

Also, think of it this way. A baby chick needs a temperature of about 95 degrees the first week. Eggs incubate under Mama at 100 degrees, or thereabouts. Logically, the temperature under Mama is plenty warm enough, even for just one chick--or that chick couldn't have hatched in the first place.

Last edited:
Ok thanks so much! I was getting worried because yesterday was around 50 degrees and the chick is only 3 days old. It's supposed to get pretty cold tonight and tommorrow so im just a little worried

Back
Top Bottom