Natural Disasters

New Jersey gets some rain and t-storms. Every once in awhile we get a minor tornado touching down, but usually only once every few years. The ground is too hilly to support any major tornado activity. Depending on where in NJ, there may be some flooding. Nothing too major though. We get snow in the winter (north part) but not THAT much where you're stuck in your house for days. We get maybe a couple feet a season.

We have four distinct seasons and fall is just beautiful! (though it's hard to tell right now because I'm in the middle of the pinelands! All pine trees)

Pretty much anywhere you go will have at least one type of natural disaster that can occur. Thing is... unless you some where like florida, it's not an every year thing. Maybe once every few decades. Up here in Wa... everything is mild... last earthquake I remember was in the 90's and... it really wasn't that bad. A few cracks here and there and some major damage, but nothing compared to katrina or tsunami's. No roof's caving in or retreating to basements. I was young when that happened too so as our teacher panicked, half of us didn't know what was gong on. She was from cali and I guess had experienced worse earthquakes down there.

News really does make thing sound worse than it really is though. And within different areas, each sub area has it's pro's and cons. If you chose to live in the mountains... well yeah, you'll be snowed in alot :p

Utah and Colorado (blizzards), Kentucky, and Tennesse, (rain from hurricane remnants), Missouri (tornados and one really big earthquake), New York, Vermont, New Hamshire, Maine (blizzards)

Anywhere on the west coast: subject to earthquakes, possible tsunamis
Anwhere in the middle:tornados'
anywhere in the north: blizzards
Anywhere on the east and gulf coasts: hurricanes

Pennsylvannia
Southern Illinois
Kentucky
Tennesse
Missouri
Utah
New Mexico
Ohio
might be good options, but weather is in general more extreme in the US than in most of Europe and all of Great Brittian except for maybe northern Scotland. Snow is easy, eathquakes and volcanos are rare, and worrying about a tsunami is just silly. Pick a place you think you will love and deal with the problems as they arise.

Florida, it's hot all year, bad drouts,1 out of 100 years it might snow
roll.png
we have lots of nats, and mosquitos. And of coarse huricanes so we have secure the coops extra during that season. We have beautifull beaches, when people dont litter
roll.png
lots of immagrants. kinda bad economy so my addvise... Dont move to florida im moving up north as soon as i turn 18 - 20..
tongue.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't get hardly any snow here in North Carolina. We do get huricanes though. We also get the occasional tornado during bad storms too. Even though we don't get much snow we do get ice storms which IMO is way worse than snow. You can't drive anywhere, trees fall down on houses and power lines and we usually lose electricity. In fact we always lose electricity, ice stroms, wind storms, thunderstorms, huricanes. I can't remember to many years where the power didn't go out.

NC, get in the middle of it. We stay bored. We hear about everything else but we don't see anything. The last time we say anything in the middle was in 1996 when Hurricane Fran took us to our knees and I believe before that it was Hazel in 1954. We might get a big snow oops I meant ice storm in the winter but other than that we have great weather. Just don't live in Wake Co if you have children--great schools but they move them it seems like every other year. Orange, Alamance, Guilford, Johnston have good school systems.

Western NY gets DUMPED on by snow and ice occasionally but for the most part the weather is very much like Ireland's (wet and very very green (I lived in Ireland for a year, I am not just making up comparisons
big_smile.png
)). I love it up here, the temps are pretty moderate, we get 2-4 weeks every winter that drop down into the below zero range, but they're usually few and far between, no droughts up here, no major hurricanes (we're too far inland), no tornadoes really (occasionally we'll get bitty ones during big thunderstorms but they're tiny and brief) and no earthquakes either (again, apparently we get little shifts, but I've never felt anything).

Things like Katrina, and the forest fires in CO and CA are isolated extreme examples.

It's not that wild and wooly over here, really.
smile.png

Arkansas has tornadoes and has a fault line going through it. But it's nothing to make me want to change.

I think one of the reasons USA has natural disasters and bounce back is because of how loving people can be. People are willing to roll up their sleeves to help a person in a real need.

I remember when a bad tornado came through our area and so many people came out to help. If it wasn't but to give hugs people wanted to do what ever to help people.

jackie

I live in a bubble here in Colorado. There are no tornados, hurricanes, earth quakes,snami's. And you no all that snow that hit Denver last winter, not more than a foot of snow here all last winter. We are surounded by mountians at all sides, It snows big time up there, by we dont get much of it down here. Every one here calls it a bubble because we never get snowed in so we dont have to go to work or anything like that. Pretty boring for some one who wants to live a life of adventure in natural disasters. Yet we live 20 miles away from Telluride, and a bunch of other ski resorts. I have lived here my whole life and I couldnt ever live in the flat lands, or even in a place with rolling hills. I got the rockies here and they protect me from all the other crap everyone else has to go through on every year. Especially those people in Florida, I swear I see the same people on the news every time they are hit by another hurrican standing in a bunch of rubble saying, "we a re stayin and we are going to rebuild!!" Geez I think I would give up and move from there.

Last edited:
I love TN. We live in area that has had severe drought this year, but as everyone from all states has said: you make the most of it, because it is not an every year thing.We have all 4 seasons also and the trees in the mountains are so beautiful in the fall. I am from Pa and the advantage here is a lot less taxes, more bang for the buck, seasons like Pa but with a longer summer and shorter winter with the least amount of snow if any. Friendly and helpful people, but not in your face people. Usually only offer advice when solicited. Plenty of room for my chickens , ducks, and guineas. I LOVE IT HERE!!!!No Hurricanes, we've been wishing for the remnant rains from the tropical disturbances. Nothing like when we lived in FL.

Back
Top Bottom