Natural paper bedding for brooder (usually used with hamsters)?

Tessa's Mom

In the Brooder
May 21, 2017
MI
Hi all! I'm researching for my chick's brooder (planning to get them in February) and wondering about the use of a specific type of paper bedding. It's here: https://www.chewy.com/carefresh-com...gclid=CLTwtobp_tQCFQWDaQode1cKsA&gclsrc=aw.ds

I haven't in all my research seen people discuss this type of bedding. It's primarily meant for rodent cages, and I used it way back when I had hamsters, by it seems preferable to me for a brooder to pine shavings because there is no dust, it's super absorbent, and it's fluffy and soft. There is no scent or additives either. I know it's pricey compared to pine, or straw or shredded newspaper, but I'm not too concerned with that. I'll do most anything to cut down on dust!;). Thoughts on if this is appropriate for chicks? I know to just use paper towel for their first week or so as they get acclimated and figure out their chick crumble. Thanks!

I use that bedding with my guinea keets and it works very well with absorbing their droppings. It compresses too. The chunks of paper aren't slick either, so they can't fall, and the chunks are too big for them to swallow.

Hi all! I'm researching for my chick's brooder (planning to get them in February) and wondering about the use of a specific type of paper bedding. It's here: https://www.chewy.com/carefresh-com...gclid=CLTwtobp_tQCFQWDaQode1cKsA&gclsrc=aw.ds

I haven't in all my research seen people discuss this type of bedding. It's primarily meant for rodent cages, and I used it way back when I had hamsters, by it seems preferable to me for a brooder to pine shavings because there is no dust, it's super absorbent, and it's fluffy and soft. There is no scent or additives either. I know it's pricey compared to pine, or straw or shredded newspaper, but I'm not too concerned with that. I'll do most anything to cut down on dust!;). Thoughts on if this is appropriate for chicks? I know to just use paper towel for their first week or so as they get acclimated and figure out their chick crumble. Thanks!
I will use butcher paper sometimes. Cheep and durable. It comes in rolls or sheets. Just for the first couple of days before pine shavings.
IMG_20170710_104349.jpg

Cheaper by the roll. And if you buy more than you need, we also use it to wrap up meats and such from our supermarket to prevent freezer burn (a perk!). (Meats from the stores that selofaine over a styro boat)
"Stack up several layers at a time in your brooder. Remove the top layer for ultra fast clean up. It is semi moisture proof so the layers below are clean and dry and ready to go"!
Here is where we buy it. I am sure there is some kind of distributor that sells a variety of it near you!
https://isvr.cheneybrothers.com/CatSearch/index2.html
I hope the link works..I know the thick paper does!
Best regards.. FC
THE LINK DID NOT YIELD THE ITEM I PERSONALLY SEARCHED! SO ENTER " BUTCHER PAPER" IN THE SEARCH BOX. IT WILL SHOW YOU TONS OF VARIETY AND MORE!
(EDITED FOR ADDITIONAL INFO) FC

Last edited:
Isn't butcher paper coated with a water proof barrier? Are you using it barrier side down? Otherwise, I'd be concerned about the slippery factor. As for the shredded paper, IF chicks did go on an eating paper rampage, it would compact into an impassible wad in the crop. I'd be concerned about that.

I will use butcher paper sometimes. Cheep and durable. It comes in rolls or sheets. Just for the first couple of days before pine shavings.
View attachment 1070963
Cheaper by the roll. And if you buy more than you need, we also use it to wrap up meats and such from our supermarket to prevent freezer burn (a perk!). (Meats from the stores that selofaine over a styro boat)
"Stack up several layers at a time in your brooder. Remove the top layer for ultra fast clean up. It is semi moisture proof so the layers below are clean and dry and ready to go"!
Here is where we buy it. I am sure there is some kind of distributor that sells a variety of it near you!
https://isvr.cheneybrothers.com/CatSearch/index2.html
I hope the link works..I know the thick paper does!
Best regards.. FC
THE LINK DID NOT YIELD THE ITEM I PERSONALLY SEARCHED! SO ENTER " BUTCHER PAPER" IN THE SEARCH BOX. IT WILL SHOW YOU TONS OF VARIETY AND MORE!
(EDITED FOR ADDITIONAL INFO) FC
Interesting option, thanks so much!

I use newspaper with roller towel spread over for the first week or so, until they know what is food and what isn't ;) Then I replace with pine shavings, big enough so they can't swallow them.

Isn't butcher paper coated with a water proof barrier? Are you using it barrier side down? Otherwise, I'd be concerned about the slippery factor. As for the shredded paper, IF chicks did go on an eating paper rampage, it would compact into an impassible wad in the crop. I'd be concerned about that.
It is super thick and condensed. At least the professional grade we obtained. We only use it the first 3 days only. While the chicks dry and adapt to the new world. When we hatch from incubators, that is two days alone. Then a 3rd day.
By the 4th day they are in shavings by then. Because they are super curious and hyperactive. The paper is long gone at that point.
Got lazy our last batch and the newborn's kept knocking shavings in the waterer. Paid me back for being to lazy to cut paper to fit.
:th

Interesting question about a waterproofing seal.
I just checked my paper roll. Both sides are porous. No slick side. But if you buy it by the roll. It has memory. Put the dome side up and the edges won't curl up and it will stay tight and the chicks won't find their way under it.

Back
Top Bottom