Natural pest control question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HeatherLynn, Jun 3, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Ok I have been reading posts and thinking that I don't want to mess with this whole lice and mites thing. Not at all. Ok so my questions is can I use tea tree oil or other essential oils as a preventative. Mist them with it.

The reason I ask is tea tree oil is very effective on lice. Not sure on mites but I don't see why it would not be. It works on humans better than chemicals.

My kids came home with them one time from a play date. Uggg so after burning a few things, washing everything in hot water. and coating their heads for 8 hours in olive oil and tea tree oil we never saw any again. As a prevenative now I spray the kids with tea tree oil when they go to on play dates, scout meetings, ect. Yes I am paranoid but they are just ucky. So can I do the same kind of thing for the chickens? Its a light misting of tea tree not a soaking their feathers in it or anything. A mist not a soaking!! Can i also mist their bedding or just stick with DE?

2. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    Tea Tree oil is not a lice preventative. I don know that it is in something you can buy to make picking stop for chicks, so I'm sure it's safe to use if you end up with a lice issue. Diatomaceous earth is a natural bug getter for chickens. I use it in my chicken's bedding. No bugs so far!

3. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    aww so its not good for chicken lice too. dang it. I like multi purposing. I am just looking to make sure I never have to deal with the problem EVER. I get the itches from an ant crawling on me. I am just thinking ahead of problems to save myself a bit of time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by