Natural remedies to help chook that got too cold and wet until the roads clear

Muscovy Wunda

Free Ranging
5 Years
Nov 5, 2018
Central West NSW Australia
So, I can't get to a vet please don't suggest it, nope, the roads are slush and closed. My vet is also closed Friday to Sunday so its a 2 hour drive to a clinic to get anything, though at this stage I don't suspect infection so antibiotics won't do anything anyway. SO FOR NOW I just need remedies with everyday, what you have on hand/in the pantry to get through next few days. We are located in Australia and have had the lovely artic blast come through. Thankfully we are in the tablelands so no snow but the rain has been freezing and we lost a roof off a hen house over night resulting in soggy chickens. 3 of the 4 are completely fine. 1 was okay when dried but couple hours later she has become all hunched up and has what I'd describe as the runs, so lots of poo through her butt fluff and just appears otherwise miserable. Not interested in food or water. Have made up water with some garlic and oregano and sprinkled turmeric over their feed. Besides keeping her snug warm and dry what else can be done? Also for the fellow aussies, we do have mice (not nearly as many as some) and we have not had any posion placed around the chicken or dog runs but I did pull out lots of drowned mice that have been living around the run so how sick would that make them?

Sounds like that was quite a storm.

What breed is the poor gal?
How old is she?
Has she completely molted into her winter feathers?
If not the cold and wet may have hit her harder.

The worrying thing to me is the runny poo and hunched position.
When did she last lay an egg?

I wouldn't add things to the feed or water. I would offer her some scrambled egg or other favorite treat to see if she will even try to eat.

Sounds like that was quite a storm.

What breed is the poor gal?
How old is she?
Has she completely molted into her winter feathers?
If not the cold and wet may have hit her harder.

The worrying thing to me is the runny poo and hunched position.
When did she last lay an egg?

I wouldn't add things to the feed or water. I would offer her some scrambled egg or other favorite treat to see if she will even try to eat.
Only around 20 weeks, Wyandotte, she hasn't started laying. I did think she had an egg membrane hanging out of her to begin with, but on inspection was just white poo. I will try some scrambled eggs in the morning, but so far no interest in any other food

So to young to molt or be laying. You hat rules out feeling bad from those potential issues.

Have they been wormed?
Trying to think of anything that can cause the hunched posture, runny poo and loss of appetite.
Yes to worming. Though she has only been here just over a month so I don't know her full history with past illness or anything.

Back
Top Bottom