Naughty boys!

Juno

Songster
10 Years
Jun 15, 2012
Birmingham, England
Hi everyone, I have two white campbell drakes just around a year old. We were sold them as females and they settled in with our 3 hens. ( I've had hens for 15 years) We soon worked out they were boys as they grew, but decided to keep and love them anyway. All was good until late April, when one, Soup, started getting aggressive with me. Then the other Bruce, really hurt one of the hens by pinning her down and biting her comb. We split the run in half and the chooks are fine. I can't let the boys out without them biting me. If I give them treats they are ok, then back at it. I use a broom to keep space between us which works. They fight all the time, I have had to treat Bruce for an injured nostril. I don't know if I should rehome them because I can't let them out every day due to their aggression. They were so sweet before, I want to still love them but it's hard and I feel bad they have less space now. Just today they have starred trying to grab the hens by the neck through the fence I've put in their run. Any advice gratefully recieved, thanks :)

Just speculating here, because all my drakes are runners; I have no experience with Khaki Campbells. But, when warmer weather and hormones kick in, my boys become idiots. Also, the drakes are generally more rowdy as juveniles, although my two remaining boys are old enough that I would have hoped they would get calmer. Nope, yesterday -- when it was too hot to want to move -- Sheldon and Layne spent the morning attacking each other.

More than once, I have had to put one of the boys in a "time out" shelter to stop the quarrels.

They really don't bother my chickens and have never bitten me. So, it may be they will outgrow their bad behavior. Let's hope so!

Just speculating here, because all my drakes are runners; I have no experience with Khaki Campbells. But, when warmer weather and hormones kick in, my boys become idiots. Also, the drakes are generally more rowdy as juveniles, although my two remaining boys are old enough that I would have hoped they would get calmer. Nope, yesterday -- when it was too hot to want to move -- Sheldon and Layne spent the morning attacking each other.

More than once, I have had to put one of the boys in a "time out" shelter to stop the quarrels.

They really don't bother my chickens and have never bitten me. So, it may be they will outgrow their bad behavior. Let's hope so!
I hope so too, thanks for sharing your expetience :)

Back
Top Bottom