NC Peeps help me out? broiler eggs to hatch??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by thegreypony, Feb 18, 2013.

1. thegreypony

thegreypony Chillin' With My Peeps

We usually have 5-7 hens that go broody every spring/summer. Some I can break, others hatch out more layers for me, etc. I don't have room or need for more layers and would like to utilize their broodiness to fill the freezer, so to speak. I've bought hatching eggs before from various sources but I'm specifically interested in a fast maturing bird (broiler?? is that the correct term?) that we can hatch, raise, and then process for the freezer. Can anyone out there in cyberland give me a little guidance on this? What "breed" should I be aiming for; sources in piedmont/triad of NC?

Thanks so much!!

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I thought you had broiler eggs to hatch, I've only been able to find them at Meyer and their eggs are 4.07 an egg [​IMG] chicks are cheaper

3. thegreypony

thegreypony Chillin' With My Peeps

Good grief! I thought there was a local guy our 4-H used but haven't heard back from our 4H leader yet. I'm going to be really hopeful about it! My Grand Freezer Chicken plan will not come to fruition at $4.07 an egg!! EEK!!

4. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Could you let them sit on eggs for a little while, then sneak some day old chicks under them early in the morning for them to raise? I have read on here that some people have success doing this.
    That way you wouldn't have to buy eggs or keep raise chicks in a brooder in the house and could pick up whatever kind chicks you wanted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by