Near Disaster!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Frozen Feathers, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    OMG!!!!! My Shiba Inu puppy, Keiko and us were all in the backyard playing. My yard is fenced in by 5 stand electric wire (used to have mini horses) and has deer mesh all along it, (my pathetic attempt to keep the chickens in) except for the gate. Well, the pup was running around had her leash on and we were watching her and making sure she was sticking around.

Well, all of sudden she bolted, we called her and called her, but she wasn't listening!!! She snuck through the gate and proceeded to run across the field. Well, my Dh ran after her, he was calling for her and I thought nothing of it, she's had obedience school (obviously she got bad grades) and I was certian she would come right back, very soon.

After 10 minutes I got worried, I went around the front of the house and saw a car parked at my neighbors across the street that I didn't know. Then I saw a lady standing there with a hot pink leash. My heart sank!!! I knew it was Keiko's leash!! I had my 2 year old with me so I proceeded with caution. I ask if she had seen a black dog and the lady started balling. She said that the dog just ran out in front of her and she tried to stop. She said the dog bolted and that her husband and some guy (my DH) went running after her. I just told her it wasn't her fault and quickly brought my little girl in the house.

I called my MIL to come get my daughter, and looked up the number to call the vet in case Keiko was still alive. I was doubtful, cars fly on this road and she's not even a 25 lb dog. Well, about 10 minutes my husband showed carrying the dog. I asked if she was okay, surprised she was still breathing. Yeah, he said, she ran like a bat out hell through the back woods and I had to chase her forever.

There is not a scratch on her!!! He gums aren't pale, she's eating drinking harassing the cat, it was like it never happened!! Miracle!! Her leash does have what looks like a skid mark on it and the snap is broken. My DH said he saw her get hit, but I'm wondering if the leash got caught and snapped Keiko back into the car. I'm just so happy she's alive! We all love her so very much, especially my daughter. From now on, she's going to be attached to someone at all times!!!

After getting Keiko checked out, we all went out for ice cream, and got Keiko a doggy ice cream, a bowl of vanilla with a a milk bone.

Thanks for listening... I just had to get it out!

Keiko and her little girl. Keiko's about 4 months in the pic, and my daughter is 20 months. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    OMIGOD! Im so happy for you!!! That is so freaking fantastic!! Keiko had a doggy angel that is for sure.

3. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Angie,
    I am so glad it turned out the way it did. Losing pets is traumatic at best. I couldn't wait to get finished reading--I was worried how the story would turn out.

4. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    I so know how you feel. I rescued this little chiuaha from the street. Poor baby was starving! We saved him and he was just getting his hair back when I left him out too long and we found him in the street. I screamed for my husband and cried for days. We originally called him Stinky Ed. But we changed his name to Tinky. He is buried beneath my husbands favorite pecan tree. Well, the point of this story is.......I took my new dog Beanie, a chi-weenie, to PetsMart and he got loose! In a busy parking lot. I screamed so loud that people came out of Payless. Im sorry but I didn't want him to get hit! Yeah I know how you feel.

5. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Wow, that was tense. Glad it has a happy ending. [​IMG]
    And what a cutie-pie your little girl is!!! Nice photos!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by