Near fatality!!

When I started giving my chicks other foods besides chick crumbs I also gave them chick grit.

Edited: Probably not for yogurt.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I think when ours were about a week old I put some garden dirt (we don't use any chemicals in our garden) in a pyrex dish and put it in the coop. Mostly they kicked it all out though.

Quote:
I would hesitate with treats at that young age. Give their systems time to get in order. A little egg should be Ok, but I wouldn't reccomend anything else until they are several weeks old. Better safe than sorry. I think I first gave yogurt at 3-4 weeks, maybe a little older. What I found is at first they don't like the taste or the fact that it gets on their beak. When I gave them the hard crusties from the rim of the container, they went crazy. After that, the regular stuff was cool!

I stuck to plain regular and greek yogurt. Flavored stuff has a lot of sugar in it. I also only gave about a teaspoonful total to a group of six 4-wk chicks, and not every day. A little is all you need for them to start looking at you as the big cool vending machine in the sky! It got to the point they were excited to eat their regular feed out of my hand.
big_smile.png

They're not lap chickens but they come over every time I go into the run to see if I have something for them. Usually not, but when I do everyone comes running!

Back
Top Bottom