Nearly 2/3 of chicken contains dangerous pathogens

Yup!

thumbsup.gif

I've just been reading 'Eating Animals' by Jonathan Saffran Foer. It's a very straightforward look at the factory farming industry in contrast to the "old fashioned" way of farming.

Evidently "air cooling" is the norm in Europe and Canada, but the industry in the US has fought to keep water cooling (where hundreds of carcasses are chilled in the same bath, with feces and other contaminants) because they absorb 8-11% of their body weight in water (bacteria laden water), and then sell the chicken and water to the consumer. In other words, it's more profitable to do things the dirty way.

Animal welfare aside, we owe it to ourselves to learn exactly what we're being sold and fed.

EVERYTHING contains dangerous pathogens. That's why we have immune systems. And cook our meat. I once thought about keeping track of all the stuff that was bad for us. The only thing I could come up with that was safe was distilled water. Until a friend pointed out that the plastic bottles the distilled water came in was bad, too. One thing about producing your own food is that if it is contaminated with salmonella or something no one will ever know because no one checks for it.

Quote:
Yup! No other country (I think) does this water soaking - the change in the taste and texture is amazing. I am finding more and more stores carrying meats with "moist and tender" and other marketing sayings about these chemical and water "enhancements". I have lots of food and chemical sensitivities and started avid label reading and was disturbed.

Needless to say, I have a local grass fed beef in the freezer and am looking into doing a batch of freezer birds and find a local farm for pig and lamb. If Grandma could do it....

It is the accumulated totals of "bad" things that I hope to cut down on; I realize there is no way to make it perfect. I'm just shooting for less bad.

We have neighbors who do the natural pasture fed beef. Our neighbors and us will go in together on a cow eventually. Gotta get the new freezer bought, up and running first. As for this water soaking... there are articles about 'studies' done by the industry claiming that their way came out on top in taste tests and they are doing this as the consumers request!

Obviously, they wouldn't dare do the study again any time soon... they'd get a different reaction!

Back
Top Bottom