Neck bent

Codorniz

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 19, 2014
Hi! I have a quail that accidentally fell into the pool several days ago. When we got her out, an eye was swollen shut and she seemed to be compensating by bending her neck to see everything from the other eye. We thought she had lost the eye because when the eyelid came up it was all milky white inside, but have been treating with terramicina and we can see her pupil again. Her neck is still bent. Any ideas? It has been 5 days. Could it be her ear?

Welcome to BYC!

I think you have already diagnosed this issue. She probably has en ear infection. Birds that lean to one side or bend the neck, shake the head, ect., many times have ear infections. And judging from the circumstances in which this bird fell into a pool, and did have an eye infection, the bird no doubt does have an ear infection. I have heard of using sulfa drugs on chickens with ear infections. So it is worth a shot. Can't hurt. Might also help the eye out as well.

Get some Sulfadimethoxine. Many feed stores do carry this, but if not, you can get it at many poultry supply places on line.

This drug is put in the water for 5 days ONLY. Change it an make a new batch each day.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for your reply. I will see if I can find sulfadimethoxine (we are in the Dominican Republic) tomorrow. I am a little concerned that perhaps she sustained an injury/puncture/broken bone from an agressive male in the mix... Or even something else like a cat! We have her separated from the others until she is well enough to reintegrate. Thus far she has proved to be a survivor! Thank you again for your help.

Keep us posted! I am always interested in the outcomes of sick or injured birds.
smile.png

Hi TwoCrows, I am sorry to say that the quail died yesterday morning. :-(. I thought she was doing better because she seemed to have more energy and she just looked better, but in the end I feel pretty sure that she had suffered some sort of internal damage like a puncture or broken bone and that she would not have been able to recover fully. Such a shame! Thank you for your help and concern.

Hi TwoCrows, I am sorry to say that the quail died yesterday morning. :-(. I thought she was doing better because she seemed to have more energy and she just looked better, but in the end I feel pretty sure that she had suffered some sort of internal damage like a puncture or broken bone and that she would not have been able to recover fully. Such a shame! Thank you for your help and concern.
I am so sorry for your loss. You did the best you could and I am sure she appreciated the love.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom