Neck feather loss, 1 young hen out of 13

ellen60

Chirping
Apr 25, 2021
I have 1 2 yr old Partridge Cochin hen that has a bare neck. If it were mites wouldn't it be apparent in the others as well?
Any ideas?
I am using a spray on her neck , vent and feet that is for mites etc.
She is not being bullied. She is my alpha hen, but on the mild side.

Attachments

• 20230327_204415.jpg
    20230327_204415.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230327_204448.jpg
    20230327_204448.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 4
So sorry about your hens. If it were mites, it might be more extreme on one then the others before it gets to the others. Not sure if this is the case of why the neck looks like that, though.

Question, has she stopped laying eggs? Seem lethargic? Not eating, drinking, etc? Those are all things to look out for. I would maybe take the time to separate her from the flock, just for a little bit to see how she acts. If all of the sudden she begins to sleep, puff up, and seem lethargic, she was hiding it from the flock (which they do when they are ill or something is wrong) If she is squawking, doesn’t want to be inside, uneasy or acting no different, i wouldn’t be as concerned.

This has worked for all my sick hens so i think it would be worth a shot for yours to see if she is really hiding any behaviors as sometimes it can be hard to detect when they are covering it up in front of the flock. But keep in mind this isn’t something that is definite. Even if her behavior appears to be the same it might not have caught up with her yet. But this might help.

Question, has she stopped laying eggs? Seem lethargic? Not eating, drinking, etc? Those are all things to look out for. I would maybe take the time to separate her from the flock, just for a little bit to see how she acts. If all of the sudden she begins to sleep, puff up, and seem lethargic, she was hiding it from the flock (which they do when they are ill or something is wrong) If she is squawking, doesn’t want to be inside, uneasy or acting no different, i wouldn’t be as concerned.

This has worked for all my sick hens so i think it would be worth a shot for yours to see if she is really hiding any behaviors as sometimes it can be hard to detect when they are covering it up in front of the flock. But keep in mind this isn’t something that is definite. Even if her behavior appears to be the same it might not have caught up with her yet. But this might help.
Nope none of the above. She is dominant hen and continues to be her mildly bossy self. 😉

Are you sure, most molts start on the neck and I see pin feathers are coming through. Unless she's being picked.
What is your birds diet?
My birds moult in fall. We live in northern Michigan. I have never had my birds mount in Spring. The rest of her feathers are intact , smooth and beautiful. All other chickens feathers are intact and beautiful.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230330-094251_Tractor Supply.jpg
    Screenshot_20230330-094251_Tractor Supply.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230330_094610.jpg
    20230330_094610.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 4
My birds moult in fall. We live in northern Michigan. I have never had my birds mount in Spring. The rest of her feathers are intact , smooth and beautiful. All other chickens feathers are intact and beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom