Neck Feathers???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jullom, Sep 23, 2009.

1. jullom

jullom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Muncie, Indiana
    See pic below - what does the neck feather loss mean? Have only had these year old hens for about 5 months - is this moulting?

thx

[​IMG]

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Lift up the existing feathers and see what is going on. Are there holes where the feathers used to be? If so you might have a pecking problem or mites or lice.

If there are pin feathers coming in then they are probably moulting. Give them extra protein and some poultry vitamins in their water and they will be just fine.

Lovely chickens!

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    When my hens start to molt, their neck feathers get thin and then they lose their tail feathers. A drastic change in feed can also trigger feather loss. As purpletree23 said, extra protein will help speed up feather growth.

4. truthfulkindnes

truthfulkindnes Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    Northern CA coast
    Just wanted to say thank you for posting this info. We live in coastal Northern California and my 9-mo Jersey Giant, "Snuggle" has a ring around her neck of what appears to be just the feather pins. I searched and got this info immediately. You guys are sooooo great!! Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by