Mschnei3

Hatching
Mar 7, 2021
I let my chickens out of the coop and everything was going fine. Then later in the afternoon my3 year old speckled Sussex came to the door with it’s head crooked. Still walking. Took her to the vet (not a chicken vet) last night and he had to confer with the exotic vet. They said it might be an ear infection or head trauma. Today she’s not walking and her head has a real twist to it. I’m able to give her the medication (antibiotics) she can’t really eat on her own and I’m giving her water using a syringe. We are 1st time chicken owners. And in the 3 years never had any problems. Can anyone help?

Sorry about your hen. Can you post any pictures of your hen? It sounds like wry neck (torticolis,) a neurological symptom that can happen from a head or neck injury, a vitamin deficiency (thiamine or E,) or alao is seen in some diseases or viruses. Mareks disease can be one of those. Was she vaccinated? She could have benn injured by others. I would try 1/4 tablet of B complex and 400IU of vitamin E daily for at least 2 weeks. She may need assistance eating and drinking.

Back
Top Bottom