Neck Pecking

Dec 14, 2021
Alaska
My chickens have slowly developed a habit of pecking each others necks. I have posted a forum last winter about this, and concluded it was from boredom and lack of space. We have made many changes since them. I don't understand why they would keep pecking each others necks, for we have expanded their run and they have free ranged since the snow melted. They are fed an organic diet and give them treats that we have heard are high in protein (meal worms, black sunflower seeds, etc.) so I don't think pecking is from a deficiency of protein.
I noticed they peck each others necks as they are resting. We have eleven, and six don't have any pecking. The ones getting pecked don't mind and act as if they enjoy it. Recently, one of our chickens got a bleeding neck from getting pecked, which is concerning. Winter is coming soon and I am worried that they could get frostbite on their necks. We have tried using Pick-No-More Cover Up Lotion but I haven't seen much development from that.

Any recommendations to get them to stop?

Why do they still do this?

Attachments

• IMG_0862 (1).JPG
    IMG_0862 (1).JPG
    48 KB · Views: 31
They are fed an organic diet and give them treats that we have heard are high in protein (meal worms, black sunflower seeds, etc.)
Organic chicken feed?
What is the protein percentage and is it crumble, pellet, crushed grains?

Yes, high in protein but also fat.
How much do they get in relation to the regular feed?

Why do they still do this?
It could now be a habit.

What is the protein percentage and is it crumble, pellet, crushed grains?
The label says Min 16% of crude protein, not completely positive what that means. It's organic layer pellet

How much do they get in relation to the regular feed?
A few handfuls a day between them.

It could now be a habit.
How can I break it? Winters are bad up here. Could they get frostbite on their necks?

I'm just spitballing here, so bear with me. Can you watch to identify the culprits, or is it a universal thing? If it were me I'd try separating pickers and the picked (assuming the groups don't overlap much) to help break habits and regrowth. Tempted to suggest something like a back apron, but for necks, like half a sock or something. You'd have to be really careful but that seems like it could help provided it could be done safely. Maybe even pinless* peepers could make it harder for picking to continue...

Have you tried pinless peepers? You would put these on all of the birds that have been performing the pecking. Also you might try look-no-touch isolation of the pecked birds until their feathers grow back. If the feathers are pulled out instead of broken off, they should grow back in a month or two I believe.

By look-no-touch isolation, I mean where the victims can see the other chickens, but the other chickens can't get to them to pull out their feathers. So, basically a coop/run within your coop/run, or two coops with the run next to each other.

A good article on this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

I had a problem with feather picking with 6-8 wk old chicks. I had 19 chickens in a covered coop/run 10x20 ft. In less than an hour, one bird picked all the feathers off the entire back half of the back of another bird. I kept the bully away from the flock for a few days to try and shake up the pecking order, and isolated the victim within the flock (look-no-touch - I set her up in a dog crate in the run) so her feathers could grow back. Once the bully was back with the flock she went right back to picking on the same chicken. I didn't try the pinless peepers, I was worried they'd be too big. I just rehomed the bully along with another pullet who didn't fit my management style. The flock is happier with 2 less chickens anyway. None of my other birds took up the habit, the victim re-feathered in a month or two, and all was well.

I would strongly suggest feeding a higher protein commercial feed. 18-20% at least. As an example, since I have a rooster, I feed 20% protein Purina All Flock (Flockraiser) with separate grit and oystershell for calcium that the layers consume separately. The increased protein in the commercial feed will give more protein with less other things you don't need (fat, sodium, etc).

If the bullies still pick feathers regardless of what you try, you may try rehoming the victims once their feathers grow back.

Back
Top Bottom