Neck Spasm

Fcampo2

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2022
One of my pullets ID doing this weird neck spasm thing. At first I thought she was just finding her voice as they all do around this age, but it seems involuntary and uncomfortable. I’ve caught her doing it at night as they were falling asleep too.

Video 1
Video 2

Otherwise, she is happy and healthy. She does seem a little overweight and probably eats the most out of all of our chickens…

Any ideas? I’ve seen similar posts that recommended vitamins?

Sometimes weird neck movements can be from adjusting the crop if something is stuck or they are having crop problems (impacted crop.) But her movement seems quick and not the circular neck movement with a crop issue. It could be a neurological problem. First check her crop when you can catch her, and see if it is full and firm, or empty. In early morning before she eats, it should be empty and hard to feel, then in evening, should feel full and solid. Is she drinking a lot of water often? That is another sign of a crop problem.

If the crop is not her problem, and it is a tick or neurologic problem, human vitamin E 400 IU softgels may be given once a day in food or directly into the beak.

Back
Top Bottom