Necropsy followup questions. GRAPHIC

macpz

Hatching
Apr 22, 2017
Maryland
I opened up my red sex link hen that died yesterday to see what had caused her death. This is the third of the 2.5 yr old hens i have lost in the last month. I took pictures of my findings, but have never seen this before. Does anyone know what this is that i discovered?

I opened up my red sex link hen that died yesterday to see what had caused her death. This is the third of the 2.5 yr old hens i have lost in the last month. I took pictures of my findings, but have never seen this before. Does anyone know what this is that i discovered?
It would have helped if that bag was cut open but maybe Egg bound/internal laying(usually no shells)but not external laying.

Last edited:

I think by the description of salpingitis of being layered like an onion hit the nail right on the head. Thanks folks. I wonder if i should get medicated feed to help protect my other hens?

No, medicated feed is for chicks and it helps protect against coccidiosis. Im not really sure if there is anything you can do to prevent it. Maybe probiotics for beneficial bacteria. Sex links will always be more prone to reproductive problems more than a heratige breed because there system was bred to go full tilt all the time.

No, medicated feed is for chicks and it helps protect against coccidiosis. Im not really sure if there is anything you can do to prevent it. Maybe probiotics for beneficial bacteria. Sex links will always be more prone to reproductive problems more than a heratige breed because there system was bred to go full tilt all the time.

X 2 !!
I've lost birds to this over the years. It can be bacterial in origin, or viral. It generally does not respond to treatment. I've read that if caught very early, it may respond to antibiotics (would have to be the correct one), but the problem is that it is often well advanced before you ever see any signs. Sometimes you see nothing until the bird suddenly passes. It's a non-specific inflammation of the reproductive tract. I kept one bird going for over a year with it when it was caught fairly early, but she was labor intensive and still ultimately succumbed. I'm very sorry for your loss.

I am not a Vet so I do not know the big words, but I have seen this with my own hens---they just got heavier and heavier. After cutting open the "bag" right at the bottom was several stacked busted shells that had growed over----that blocked egg laying. After that she kept producing egg yolks with no shell. They kept busting and her body heat some what cooked them to look like some in your picture. For the lack of "better words" I called it extreme egg bound.

Pics removed.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help folks. I am hoping that the other hens don't have the same fate. This being the third one lost ina monthmakes me wonder if they arent passing the germs around. I felt all myothergirls and they didnt feel bloated. Lets hope for the best. Thanks again.

Did you open up your other birds when you lost them? Sometimes it happens that you have a string of losses and they are all actually completely separate issues.
Not always, but the only way to know for sure is if you look or send them off for necropsy. Good luck with the rest of your flock.

Back
Top Bottom