Necropsy photos showing very large gizzard with possible impacting. (Graphic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lobzi, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope this helps others.

My little girl died after many days of obvious illness. She hardly ate and when I held her she was light as a feather with no breast meat on her at all. I needed answers and I needed to start learning. I suspected fatty liver but was surprised to find a very healthy liver but a huge, rock-hard gizzard. Im pretty sure it was impacted. This is a bantam hen so I would not have expected such a huge gizzard. There was also what appeared to be a blockage in the tube leading to the gizzard. No grass, string or other suspect matter was found inside.

FIrst one of her still alive
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rest now little Silver bells

2. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Have you butchered before? Gizzards are supposed to be hard, was it larger than a normal one? That one looks normal to me, but only going by the pic.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The gizzard looks normal to me also. Congratulations on being brave enough to perform the autopsy!

4. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Everything visible in these photos looks normal, other than the liver, which does look a little fatty, but it doesn't look pale enough to be the cause of death to me.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did you cut open the gizzard and proventriculus? Maybe this picture will help:
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by