Necropsy

Others will be able to tell you more, but what I am gathering from the documents is that your birds showed signs of Marek's disease or leukosis - tumors - and one (or maybe both, not sure I'm reading correctly) had some sort of parasitic infestation - worms. How many other birds do you have, how old are they, did they all arrive at your place together from the same place?
I have a few brood birds (M/F) that were gifts from long pasted relatives. Most of my flock are home bred and raised. I never have any issues til the past few years. Been raising chicken in the yard for past 10 years.

Your 6 month old girl...where did she come from?
I am assuming she is newer to you than the older 16 month old girl, right?
They were both hatched from my yard. The family of chicken i have here is a long family breed that I've always had. It was gifted to me from beloved relatives. Thats why I am going through all this trouble of finding the cause of illness.

Okay. So i got the full report back. From the Report.

Microscopic evaluation confirmed gross suspicions of a neurotropic lymphoproliferative disease (neoplastic infiltration of cells into the nervous system) that is suggestive of Marek's disease. As previously mentioned, unvaccinated birds brought onto the farm will also become infected.

A large number of coccidia were detected in the feces of chicken A. Coccidiosis is a common, and sometimes deadly, parasitic disease that affects chicken and poultry through ingestion. Both clinically infected and recovered birds shed oocysts in their droppings, which contaminate feed, dust, water, litter, and soil. The parasites enter a chicken's system when chickens eat food or drink water that has been contaminated with infected soil or feces from other infected birds.

Additionally, the submitted birds have significant titers for mycoplasma synoviae (MS) and infectious bronchitis virus (IBV) indicating that there is active respiratory infections present in the flock. Mycoplasma synoviae most commonly causes subclinical upper respiratory infections in chickens. It can also cause exudative tendinitis and synovitis, known as infectious synovitis. Infection between birds occurs readily by direct contact. If MS is introduced in a flock, usually 100% of the birds become infected, although none or only a few develop joint lesions. Infectious bronchitis virus is an avian gammacoronavirus that only causes disease in chickens. IBV is shed by infected chickens in respiratory discharges and feces, and it can be spread by aerosol, ingestion of contaminated feed and water, and contact with contaminated equipment and clothing. Naturally infected chickens and those vaccinated with live IBV may shed virus intermittently for up to 20 weeks after infection. Morbidity (animals with the disease) for flocks affected by infectious bronchitis is typically 100%, but mortality (deaths caused by the virus) is low (5%) if there aren't secondary infections. Chicks may cough, sneeze, and have tracheal rales for 10–14 days. Conjunctivitis and dyspnea may be seen, and sometimes facial swelling, particularly with concurrent bacterial infection of the sinuses. In layers, egg production may drop by as much as 70%, and eggs are often misshapen, with thin, soft, wrinkled, rough, and/or pale shells, and can be smaller and have watery albumen. Egg production and egg quality can return to normal, but this may take up to 8 weeks.
The granulomas were negative for acid-fast bacteria. Immunohistochemistry for trichomonas is pending on the liver to ensure that protozoa are not the cause of the portal granulomas to be thorough. However, it is suspected that this lesion is due to inteestinal impaction.
05/27/2020: The two most important lymphoproliferative diseases in backyard flocks are Marek’s disease virus (herpesvirus) and avian leukosis virus (retrovirus). Lymphoproliferative diseases can be immunosuppressive, greatly increasing an animal's susceptibility to secondary infection. Marek's disease is controlled by vaccination, whilst avian leukosis is controlled by virus eradication programs occurring mainly at the primary breeding level. No strong evidence exists to suggest that these avian tumor viruses constitute a danger to public health. Clinical signs of Marek’s disease most often occur between 6 to 30 weeks of age, but Marek’s disease can develop in older birds as well and can co-occur with avian leukosis. Diagnosis will require histologic evaluation. If lymphoproliferative disease is confirmed, new, unvaccinated birds brought onto the farm will also become infected.

The hemorrhagic typhlitis seen in bird A is likely associated with the large number of coccidia seen on fecal flotation. Eimeria species cause the intestinal disease coccidiosis, most notably in poultry. Coccidiosis, an important enteric disease, causes significant weight loss, malnutrition, blood loss, dehydration, and increased susceptibility to other disease agents.

Gross examination did demonstrate large numbers of both Heterakis and Ascarid nematodes. Heavy infection with Ascarids is a major cause of weight depression and reduced egg production in poultry husbandry. In severe infections, intestinal blockage can occur (as was evident in bird B). Unthriftiness, drooping of the wings, bleaching of the head, and emaciation are seen. Infection also causes loss of blood, reduced blood sugar content, increased urates, shrunken thymus glands, retarded growth, and greatly increased mortality. Heterakis gallinarum is a nematode parasite that lives in the cecum of some galliform birds, particularly in ground feeders such as domestic chickens and turkeys. H. gallinarum infection in itself is mildly pathogenic

Looks bad. But doesn't look untreatable. Any recommendations for what to get for treatment? I'm making a cocktail of apple cider vinagar, oregano, garlic and honey mix for the rest of the flock.

I would probably ask a vet for advice. If the rest of the birds aren't showing symptoms and you've decided to keep them, I'd probably see if a fecal shows worms and treat that first.

Back
Top Bottom