Necrotic tissue please help

Thank you Debs55

I hope so! She's been such a trooper and has been so strong thru all of this. She's a pet and we love her! She's a lot like a lap cat lol
Concerning peroxide...
I used a 50/50 peroxide rinse the day of the injury to get rid of any debris, and followed up with betadine tea, neosporin and vetricyn gel spray. We do this same thing each evening but only used the peroxide that one Time cause it can destroy new cells that are trying to form... So I'm not going to use it again unless absolutely necessary...

Do you have any suggestions as far as entertainment or activities for her while she is being caged? It's a large 5x4 dog pen we used for our Aussie when she was younger so it's quite large, but she isn't moving very much... She is THE ultimate chicken forager so she has always been busy busy busy.. I put sone dandelion and clover In a bowl for her to eat and peck at but she's still very unhappy about her situation. She has a mirror as well.. We are going to hang some pics of her flock mates around the cage tonight.. Hopefully she will like that. I also have several month old chicks in a brooder should I put one in with her to keep her company? Her wound is mostly covered with her Tshirt so I don't think picking will be an issue.

Thank you guys!!!!!

Peroxide is fine to use,this information came from my vet and i have used it for years on all animals/children. Peroxide often is the only thing that will kill a severe infection or prevent an infection. I have never had any wounds become infected using peroxide,nor was healing time delayed.

Last edited:
Thank you ten chicks,

Yes I've used it before but I'm trying to hold off in hopes that the betadine will kill off any bacteria.. All seems to be going well, but I'm wondering if the dying skin will fall off on it's own or should I continue to trim it?

Thank you ten chicks,

Yes I've used it before but I'm trying to hold off in hopes that the betadine will kill off any bacteria.. All seems to be going well, but I'm wondering if the dying skin will fall off on it's own or should I continue to trim it?
If it appears dry/shriveled up it might fall off on its own,but if it starts to smell or appears slimy,remove it.

How did it all turn out?
How cute she looks in her little shirt.
I have a hen with wounds I am tending to as well I have been dressing her wounds to keep her from pecking, using expensive first aid supplies. I like your clean t-shirt idea; can you tell me more about what how you used it to dress her wounds? What size t-shirt did you use? Is it a child’s shirt?

I have the same situation only I can't figure out how to create my own thread. My hen was attacked and has a gash out of her back. The skin is gone and the flaps do smell...I'm scared and no chicken vets for MILES!

I have the same situation only I can't figure out how to create my own thread. My hen was attacked and has a gash out of her back. The skin is gone and the flaps do smell...I'm scared and no chicken vets for MILES!

How long ago was the injury? What have you done so far? Do you have her isolated? Smells how? What does the injury look like? (what color, is it oozing, what color if it is, is it dry and hard or wet, etc...)

How long ago was the injury? 5 days

What have you done so far?  I am giving her 100mg/day of doxy, washing wound with warm water and betadine twice a day and keeping the wound wrapped bc there is bone and musculature exposed. Necrotizing flesh removed.

Do you have her isolated? Yes.

Smells how?  Like death

What does the injury look like? It is mostly her back and neck. There are two punctures and the skin is gone with bone and musculature visible.

what color, is it oozing, what color if it is, is it dry and hard or wet, etc...) It is no longer oozing. It is dry and hard. There is a filament of bone on her back that is drying out despite wrapping.

She eats and drinks sporadically and can stand but cannot walk.

Last edited:
To start a new thread you have to go to the main sub heading, like for this it would be the Emergency /disease/ illness / cures, at the top of the page area there will be a spot that says start a new thread, click on that.

Sounds like your doing everything that can be done. Maybe a different antibiotic if that one is not working well. I don't usually treat that kind of injury except to euthanize, but I have read several posts about using different antibiotics, but don't remember the ones they say are more useful to injury vs respiratory.

Since it has been 5 days if you can keep her from going septic she will likely make it. I worry you aren't succeeding at keeping her from sepsis b/c of the smell, there shouldn't be that pungent a smell of "death" if she isn't oozing, necrotic tissues have been removed and she is healing. (not meaning that you are doing anything wrong just that your measures or any others may not be enough to keep her from sepsis)

Back
Top Bottom