Necrotic toes? (graphic pics)

For me it looks like frostbit too, but in a heated inside barn? This is really strange.
I never had a problem with frostbit but I had once a similar thing with a duck. One day I realized that one of her leg is starting to die back and I couldn’t imagine what the reason was. So I made some investigation and found an interesting thing. The poison of the ergot can cause such problems that extremities are dying back. I don’t know what diet the peafowl get and I don’t say this is the reason her, it is just an input.
Regards
Reinhold

Zaz- yeah the floor is concrete!That's a great point! He sleeps on the floor instead of roosting (no idea why) so I bet it gets colder for him than the others even though he's laying on his feet... frostbite indoors could be possible. I'll suggest that and we'll see what she can do, maybe put down straw or shavings for him.

Perhaps he is low on the pecking order and they will not let him roost.
See if they can put a pallet in the pen , that would give him a 4 X 4 low place off the floor

Last edited:
He and the other 8 month old female are the only ones in that pen, so I'm not sure there is enough of a pecking order for him to be chased off the roosts, but I'll definitely suggest it!

Remember heat rises so the concrete floor is not heated and ice cold. I have frozen pine shavings with frost on them on my floor. Granted the top layer is not frozen or frosted but when I go to clean it out I cannot get the bottom layer up and the frozen shavings are fresh and clean LOL. Tell the person who owns the bird to place pine shavings on the floor if he hasn't a perch for him to roost on to help insulate the floor, this will keep the sneaking frost bite out. Granted it is best to add a new perch for him to get him off the floor cause the floor is not heated.

Last edited:
The problem isn't the amount of perches- the pen has plenty of perches already.... he just chooses to sleep on the floor. I advised her to move him at night to someplace off the floor overnight (she has large dog crates she can put shavings/hay in) and let him out in the mornings, til it starts warming up. Hopefully that will keep it from getting any worse.

Peggy refused to get up off the ground to sleep in his pen, so I put in a variety of doormats, which he quite liked.
He usually slept on one like this
2b07.png
, although I had it turned over so that the smoother side was up.

Peggy refused to get up off the ground to sleep in his pen, so I put in a variety of doormats, which he quite liked.
He usually slept on one like this
2b07.png
, although I had it turned over so that the smoother side was up.

Good idea! Mine also like dog beds!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom