Ned help with my hatch!!

stina12141979

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 6, 2012
Goodmorning everyone,
I'm new on here, but have looked at a lot of posts during the last 26 days. Here is my problem. A while back my ducks, rouens and pekins, started to breed, even though it's this late in the year. My hen laid 17 eggs and refused to set on them, prob due to the rapid change in temp( we are in Ohio, it was 90 degrees when she started laying it's now in the 50s). At that time I explored the incubator options and constructed a homemade styrofoam cooler type. It started as more of a experiment and has now become my project. I now have 10 fertile eggs that are on day 26 and my nieghbor has the other 7, all fertile and have been candled to check growth and air pocket sizes. As far as I can tell all of them are right were they should be, I'm actually amazed that I haven't lost any yet with a styrofoam incubator lol. However here we are on day 26, I'm having some serious issues with keeping the temp down and humidity up for lockdown. Also, none of them have internally pipped yet as far as I can tell. The eggs are moving around a little now that they have been placed on the side, some more then others. The one egg that is not moving as much also is getting a almost blueish color to it from the inside? I have no idea if that means anything but it strikes me as odd since the others are not doing the same thing. So basically am I freaking out for no reason or is everything probably fine? Any ideas, thoughts, opinions, and advice welcomed. Thanks to all future posts involving this :)

p.s. I have breed many birds in the past, parrots and doves mostly, but always with the hen doing the work and have assisted with hatchings in the past with great success. This, however, is my first incubator and duck time so I feel as if I'm unprepared.

welcome-byc.gif

I've never hatched duck eggs, so I can't advice or comment, but have a look at this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

It's got some great info and tips. Good luck with your hatch!

Apart from the blueish egg it sounded like they were doing well?

Is there anything I should do for/with the blueish one? It's more of a gray prob. It's a white egg and the color of this one is changing from the inside, if that makes any sense at all. It was wobbling a lil earlier so there must have been some life in there still.

If it's moving there's a live duckling in there. In that case you should leave it.

I hear duck eggs take quite awhile to hatch, so don't get too stressed!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom