Need 2 Hens (any breed)

Chickenrandomness

12 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Stanley, North Dakota
i lost one of my pullets, Penny to a dog today
hit.gif

now i have 2 cockerels & 1 pullet
my dad said i could get 2 moe chickens, but i can't seem to find any! craislist dosn't have much here in ND.
if you have some hens you are willing to sell, please PM me.
Must be able to ship

Anyone considering selling you birds is wondering what I am going to ask:

How do you plan on keeping the dog attack from happening again?

Quote:
Im sorry for your loss but I agree with Cloverleaf--first make sure the attack won't happen again-secure their areas-then look for more pullets-I would probably get rid of one of your roos too-2 roos and 2 pullets is WAY to many roos for those girls-are they seperated for breeding or al together??

Quote:
Im sorry for your loss but I agree with Cloverleaf--first make sure the attack won't happen again-secure their areas-then look for more pullets-I would probably get rid of one of your roos too-2 roos and 2 pullets is WAY to many roos for those girls-are they seperated for breeding or al together??

they were all togather because when i got them, we thought they were all hens, & then they became good friends & would cry if one was seperated.

i'd easily prevent a dog attack because the dog that killed Penny is not our dog, we are watching her for a friend for a few days.

Quote:

they were all togather because when i got them, we thought they were all hens, & then they became good friends & would cry if one was seperated.

i'd easily prevent a dog attack because the dog that killed Penny is not our dog, we are watching her for a friend for a few days.

I know but Im telling you from experience-the 1-2 hens you have with two roosters will be severly over bred and will get hurt---I did the same thing when I first started -There feathers will all be plucked and pulled out on their backs-their backs will start to bleed and get scabby-not even scabby bloody mess from being over bred-I never let mine get like that-I caught it soon enough but I have seen it time and time again and It breaks my heart for those hens...I was very wrong to put my girls through any of that out of selfishness for my needs. Can you seperate them so that they can see eachother?? leave the 1 roo with the 1-2 hens and the other roo "next door"??? Good thing on the dog situation!

Quote:

I know but Im telling you from experience-the 1-2 hens you have with two roosters will be severly over bred and will get hurt---I did the same thing when I first started -There feathers will all be plucked and pulled out on their backs-their backs will start to bleed and get scabby-not even scabby bloody mess from being over bred-I never let mine get like that-I caught it soon enough but I have seen it time and time again and It breaks my heart for those hens...I was very wrong to put my girls through any of that out of selfishness for my needs. Can you seperate them so that they can see eachother?? leave the 1 roo with the 1-2 hens and the other roo "next door"??? Good thing on the dog situation!

Sonew, you may not have caught that these birds that are all together are only 3.5 months (mentioned in the RIP Penny signature line). At this age, if the chicks have been kept/reared together, they will certainly fret if separated. Their instinct is safety in numbers. In another couple of months it will be necessary to split them up, especially if the cockerels are EE, as I have noticed them getting roosterly much earlier than my Wyandottes, Australorps and Marans. It may even come to rehoming one of the cockerels. For now, I think what remains of the flock will be fine together. If he adds hens to his flock, there may be some chick abuse that goes on, as the hens may assert their dominance over the younger birds. Much depends on the personality of the new birds.

Best of Luck Chickenrandomness, and anyone who has lost a pet chicken to dog or predator sympathizes with your loss.
caf.gif
Now time to get some birds washed.

Quote:

Sonew, you may not have caught that these birds that are all together are only 3.5 months (mentioned in the RIP Penny signature line). At this age, if the chicks have been kept/reared together, they will certainly fret if separated. Their instinct is safety in numbers. In another couple of months it will be necessary to split them up, especially if the cockerels are EE, as I have noticed them getting roosterly much earlier than my Wyandottes, Australorps and Marans. It may even come to rehoming one of the cockerels. For now, I think what remains of the flock will be fine together. If he adds hens to his flock, there may be some chick abuse that goes on, as the hens may assert their dominance over the younger birds. Much depends on the personality of the new birds.

Best of Luck Chickenrandomness, and anyone who has lost a pet chicken to dog or predator sympathizes with your loss.
caf.gif

my 2 cockerels are: a messed up golden commet (he has hen coloring), & a sumatra

Quote:

caf.gif

My bad I did NOT see the sig line:-( I didnt want to be a drag or pooper I just wanted to prepare them for whats coming when they all mature and hormones really come out...

Back
Top Bottom