Need a 2nd Incubator on a Budget

eveliens

Songster
Jun 24, 2020
Looking to add a 2nd incubator dedicated to hatching. My birds seem to ditch their nests in perfect sync with lockdown. I've had to throw away entire clutches of started eggs because the hen was disturbed by a storm or by a squirrel being chased by mockingbirds or by construction next door or by her rooster being a jerk (roo is being removed next time - he's too neurotic and high strung right now).

I am hatching quail, so the incubator doesn't need to be large, but it does need to hold up to 40 eggs/potential chicks. No big holes on the bottom, places for tiny chicks to get stuck behind or access to the water reservoirs.

I've been looking at the options and most of the super fancy ones are out of the budget as a "want"/"wish" item. My funds come directly from the sale of the chicks/eggs, and I breed at a hobby level. Basically, the rule is, if I can't buy it with money from the hobby, I can't buy it 😂 It keeps me from going overboard because I have a lot of hobbies and not a lot of money!

1. what "budget" off the shelf incubator would you recommend solely for hatching
2. what are your experiences with a DIY stryofoam incubator or other DIY incubators - do they keep humidity/temp. OK for hatching and dry the chicks after hatch?
3. any other input or suggestions?

When I bought my incubator last year I did a lot or research on making one and I found that there is so much to it that you have to tinker with and get just right that I decided just to buy one. I got the most basic styrofoam incubator from TSC seemed to do alright didn't have the best hatch percentage but my
Rooster wasn't quite so active as he passed in the spring. I would say that if i were to purchase another one I would get an egg turner next time just to try to keep things more consistent and not have to open the incubator as much.

When I bought my incubator last year I did a lot or research on making one and I found that there is so much to it that you have to tinker with and get just right that I decided just to buy one. I got the most basic styrofoam incubator from TSC seemed to do alright didn't have the best hatch percentage but my
Rooster wasn't quite so active as he passed in the spring. I would say that if i were to purchase another one I would get an egg turner next time just to try to keep things more consistent and not have to open the incubator as much.
Thanks. My main incubator is a big stryofoam one with an electric rack. I actually have fairly OK hatch rates, usually 70-90% after weeding for cracked and infertiles. I'm interested in adding a 2nd incubator solely dedicated to lockdown and hatching, so no need for racks or turning. Just needs to hold the proper (hatching) temp & humidity. Another big styrofoam incubator is a bit bigger than I want to go but that's about the right price range.

Thanks. My main incubator is a big stryofoam one with an electric rack. I actually have fairly OK hatch rates, usually 70-90% after weeding for cracked and infertiles. I'm interested in adding a 2nd incubator solely dedicated to lockdown and hatching, so no need for racks or turning. Just needs to hold the proper (hatching) temp & humidity. Another big styrofoam incubator is a bit bigger than I want to go but that's about the right price range.

Looks like you figured it out. When we can’t have our cake and eat it too, sacrifices must be made. If size is your only problem and it’s in your price range, do it before you change your mind.

Looks like you figured it out. When we can’t have our cake and eat it too, sacrifices must be made. If size is your only problem and it’s in your price range, do it before you change your mind.
Thanks, I got a cheapie Little Giant and it works well enough for the price. Solved everything but the space issue, but I just stack them on top of one another.

Back
Top Bottom