Need a chicken sling

JanelleColeman

Hatching
Jun 16, 2016
Took girl to the vet and she has a hyper-extended joint... which is why she is not putting weight on her leg and is dragging it. Vet put her in a splint to help it heal properly, but I need to fashion a sling to help her keep from dragging it behind her. She is 7-8 weeks old (RIR) and may need something on top to keep her from just flying out of it. Ideas?

I hope this helps:

chickensling-500x276.jpg
LL
59765_pp.jpg
47386_dixie_slung_09-19-2010_2.jpg
LL
LL

This is exactly what I was looking for! I have a chicken who just had leg surgery to correct a tendon issue and is going to hurt herself if I don't restrain her and keep her from moving too much. Thank you for all the photos!

This is exactly what I was looking for!  I have a chicken who just had leg surgery to correct a tendon issue and is going to hurt herself if I don't restrain her and keep her from moving too much.  Thank you for all the photos!

Let us know how your chick gets along, and be sure to post a picture of her in her sling. What type of vet did your chicken's surgery?

She's not loving the sling at all. Keeps flapping like crazy trying to get out while she's in it. The leg holes seem plenty big, but I've noticed her toes are getting cool when she's in it (is that just the A/C because I have her in the house? or is her circulation getting cut off?). The vet said to keep her cool and dry, but I'm also watching the leg to ensure there isn't swelling and that it doesn't get cold to the touch, so when her toes cool off while in the sling, I worry. I'm still working on finding a way to do this where she's comfortable enough not to flail around. I'm worried she's going to hurt herself.

Right now I'm letting her sleep on the pine shavings in the coop with everyone else. She's been sleeping on the floor of the coop at night for her whole life and I know she's more comfortable with her friends and in familiar surroundings, but I plan to try the sling again tomorrow.

The vet is a small animal vet who is avian certified and is familiar with chickens. He re-positioned the tendon and put a pin in to help keep it in place. The leg is wrapped up as well. It's wrapped in a straight position for the next few days (we go back to the vet Monday), and she just can't do much except fall over with the one leg. I'm afraid she'll break her other leg or a wing or something else if I don't keep her fairly restricted, but I also don't want her to be uncomfortable. She's on antibiotics to try to ensure she doesn't get an infection and a painkiller (both twice a day). When I hold her, have her propped up, or in the sling, I can hand feed and water her. She has a good appetite and good stools. She just can't really get to food or water on her own right now.

The slings won't work if she is not comforable in it. I would keep her in whatever position is most comfortable. Can you try the sling while she is with the other chickens? Rest periods out of the sling may be good for her.

Back
Top Bottom