need a duck coop!

Ducks really are quite different from chickens- and I cant say that I recall even seeing a commercially made duck coop. Most people improvise or design their own where it comes to ducks so they can customise things to fit the ducks they have.

There are some great threads on here - including this sticky that could give you some great ideas on what you can use to build your own duck coop- or modify something that you can buy pretty much complete already.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/320654/duck-pond-pool-pictures

I built our ducks a nice 8'x8' enclosure. They never go in it. They stand around outside, sun, rain, snow; still or gusting to 60MPH.

So, I wouldn't go too crazy with your coop until you see if your ducks are willing to use one.

I built our ducks a nice 8'x8' enclosure. They never go in it. They stand around outside, sun, rain, snow; still or gusting to 60MPH.

So, I wouldn't go too crazy with your coop until you see if your ducks are willing to use one.

I agree. I have an open air run with one area that is blocked off on 3 sides for wind protection. My current ducks do go in the run on their own at dusk but they stay in the area of the run that I kept them in when I first got them. I think the use of a shelter depends on when they are introduced to it. The younger the better.

I found a double dog house someone had built on craigslist for 2 huge dogs! I spent a weekend fixing it back up and changing it for ducks (adding closing door, Air vents, ect...) All in all i think i spent $75 buying it and fixing it and it works great!

Everyone is right about not spending alot of money on a coop until you make sure that they will go into it. I had my ducks temporarily in a old chicken coop until I built their new house. They definitely would not walk up the ramp so I had to pick them up and put them in everynight. The house I built for them is a simple 8' X 4' sloped tin roof structure that sits on the ground. I spent about $90 on building it. The ducks go in at sunset - but only after they see me coming they know its time for bed and walk into the house. Different ducks I am sure have differ attitudes...just experiment.
smile.png

We just built one... we also used as much recycled and free material that we could. We use our duck coop to keep the ducks safe at night, they free range daily and we also use it for when the temps get frigid.

I ensured it was tall enough for us humans to stand in and offered enough space in case they birds couldn't go out that day.. so far, so good.. I think if you build your own not only will it better suit your climate but also the type of birds you keep and how you will use the building...

thanks for your opinions everyone
smile.png
they do use a coop. i have a small cage out in their pen right now till i could build or get a permanent coop. they go in on their own every night just at dark. another reason i want one is to secure them at night because we have critters here that would love them for dinner! my dad has scovy's too and he lost 2 of them to a critter one night that he forgot to close them in their house
sad.png
i found a nice chicken coop design that i'm thinking of building and just alter a few things to make it for ducks. if anyone has any other suggestions i'd love to hear them. thanks everyone!
big_smile.png

Here is an image of our new Duck Coop. We decided to build it on stilts so that there would be a shaded area for the ducks. 80% of the materials are used. The siding was made from repurposed window covers for storms.

Inside the home, there is a ramp for the ducks to enter the bedding area. I'm sure they will wander out all over the house but this is the area we hope they will use as their bed.

Here is a bedding shot before the hay was inserted. The rust paint is a water proof sealant for decking.

The coop has an attached outdoor pen that is fully enclosed. Small door on the end enables entry. It is roughly 6 feet tall.

All in all, I think we spent around $300 for the house and pen. We plan on letting the ducks free range when we are home from work but this enclosed home will keep them out of trouble (and safe) when we are at work.

Back
Top Bottom