Need A Hatch Buddy.. Anyone Setting Today 2/26?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickie Mamma, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I am so excited to set my 2 dozen silkie eggs today. Anyone with me? If so, what breeds are you setting?
    Wish me luck [​IMG]
    To all that are hatching around the same time.. fingers crossed for you as well [​IMG]

2. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    I'm setting tomorrow!!! Its my first time!!! [​IMG] I'm nervous!!

I'm setting mixed eggs. I have EEs, Barred Rock, Barnvelder, and one Polish hen. They are all running with my sweet white Leghorn rooster. So, just some good ol' mixed breed backyard chicks:D

3. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    That's going to be an interesting hatch! Love mutts [​IMG] its always a surprise!
    Good Luck! [​IMG]

4. buckaroo's wife

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    I could never decide on a breed.....so I just went for all of them [​IMG]

5. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thats the best way if you can't decide [​IMG]
    Do you candle the eggs? How many are going in?

6. buckaroo's wife

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    I'm putting in 18 eggs.....in hopes that I get a 50% hatch rate...? I'm hoping that is a feasible goal. Heck, I'll be happy if I get one chick I guess!

I have never candled eggs...but I've read that only at day 7 and 18 is a good idea. Thoughts?

7. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Yep, candle after day 7 and right before lockdown. I always hope for a 50% hatch rate.. but were your eggs shipped? That reduces hatch rate. Mine were shipped, and just hope the Post Office was not too careless with them. I usually have pretty good luck with shipped eggs. Only my last hatch was 2 out of 12. But I usually get about 50%. Candling eggs is alot of fun to look at. Some candle too often. I hand turn all my eggs (I've always had a better hatch rate when hand turned) so I may peek at an egg or 2 at day 12 or so.

8. buckaroo's wife

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    Nope, my eggs came straight from my yard!! I'm not brave enough to order eggs.....yet! I have an egg turner in my bator, since I work long days and wouldn't get accurate turnings down. [​IMG] darn job gets in the way of my hobby! HAHA

9. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

I set 18 Lavender Americauna eggs, 12 GoldenCuckoo Marans, and 11 Salmon Favorelles today. All shipped. Of course, I want a 100% success rate!! LOL

10. buckaroo's wife

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    Good luck to all of us!! Where are ya located calgal? I used to live in Carmel Valley!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by