Need a lil help here. baby goose found dead in pen

liricalmis

Hatching
5 Years
May 4, 2014
Washington State
I don't know what happened. My daughter is raising geese. and I also got 3 to grow up with hers. Today they were just fine. They are about 5 weeks and we have really enjoyed them. Today as I said were just fine. she checked on them and went to check on them an hour later after it rained, and found one out in the pen dead. Not a mark on it. There were 2 other toulouse geese and 2 african geese, and 2 kahki ducks all growing up together. The others are fine, We don't know what happened. any ideas? we don't want this to happen to any of the other ones.

I don't know what happened. My daughter is raising geese. and I also got 3 to grow up with hers. Today they were just fine. They are about 5 weeks and we have really enjoyed them. Today as I said were just fine. she checked on them and went to check on them an hour later after it rained, and found one out in the pen dead. Not a mark on it. There were 2 other toulouse geese and 2 african geese, and 2 kahki ducks all growing up together. The others are fine, We don't know what happened. any ideas? we don't want this to happen to any of the other ones.
Could it have drowned? any chance it may have eaten something toxic? even metal? so very sorry for your loss. They can hide sickness so well sometimes we don't even notice till too late.
sad.png

We first thought thought maybe she got some foxglove, but she would have very sick for a lil while, but she was just fine. My daughter watched them playing in the yard. Then it started to rain and they seemed like they loved it so she left them out. She came back about an hour later and one was dead and a couple was in the goose house and one was running around. After some thinking, (all night) i really do think it was hypothermia. They were playing in there pool before it rained and so they were already wet. Then when it rained the temp dropped and she just couldn't stay warm. Just wish these lessons weren't so hard to learn. Its only been 4 weeks but I miss that lil girl. Never thought I could get attached to a goose, but I did. They will be staying in the goose house from now on unless its really sunny out, and when they get ALL their feathers in.

My daughter watched them playing in the yard. Then it started to rain and they seemed like they loved it so she left them out. She came back about an hour later and one was dead and a couple was in the goose house and one was running around. After some thinking, (all night) i really do think it was hypothermia. They were playing in there pool before it rained and so they were already wet. Then when it rained the temp dropped and she just couldn't stay warm.

I'm thinking hypothermia too. They can get cold so fast when they're wet.

Although many plants are poisonous to geese, I've never actually heard of a free ranging goose or gosling dying from eating a poisonous plant. They seem to have excellent instincts when it comes to that.

It's much more likely they'll eat string, nails, wire, or plastic bags - or ingest a harmful plant if it's fed to them mixed in with something else.

Back
Top Bottom