Need a lil help

SandeeC

Songster
Sep 18, 2013
Central West NSW Australia
Hey guys and gals :) Came home today after I got an emergency call out, was 30c in my bedroom where my chickens are, they had drank their water dry, put more in, they became drenched after swimming in it.
My main question is at the moment, we are at 23c at 9:37pm, but by 5am the temp drops. I can't turn the heat lamp on for them as they hop straight back in their water dish.
Can I leave their heat lamp off for the night?
will they be ok?
Sorry, as my boys say, I am a panicky nanny :) Babies are easier lol

Hi there,
How old are your chickies?? According to my temp. gauge, 23C is about 70+F, so unless they are really small, I think you could probably manage without a heat lamp. The fact they jumped into the water to cool down makes me think they were too hot. As long as they are out of draughts they should be just fine. Sue

Thanks Sue :)
Eldest one is only 5 days old, youngest is only 4 days.
I put them in a cage (new parrot cage) inside last night, left them without the lamp on and they are doing remarkably well :)
They aren't hopping into their water dish anymore, had to take them out of the brooder box as it was still keeping hot.
They are still managing to drink heaps of water even without the heat lamp. But they are eating massive amounts of chicken starter though, which makes them thirsty.
Wing feathers etc are already forming and quite long for their age.

Sounds like they're doing just fine! My friend has baby chicks right now, keeping them under the light, but we are in upstate NY which is a toasty 5C right now, snow predicted for the weekend..........
hmm.png
What breeds do you have? Sue

hahahaha They are watching cartoons lol
I mainly keep it on for my son's miniature poodle pup, keep her company, but chickens hate it when I turn it off as well lol
I am going to have to show them a KFC ad just before they start laying :)

Back
Top Bottom