Need a little help in deciding if these are hens or roosters

Horse Chick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 20, 2012
Rhode Island
I have 6 Buff Orps and 4 Barred Rocks and I'm trying to determine if I have any roosters. Some of them got bigger combs a lot earlier than others, next week they are 6 months old. Only 3 are laying so far, I know at least two of those laying are the Rocks and the other may be an Orp. I'm posting pics of the ones in question and there may be some hens I'm sure of in that mix too....although their combs are bigger, their tails look like hen tails and they don't have the angular body of a rooster so perhaps all 10 are hens? 10 for 10...when does that ever happen? Let me know what you think
smile.png
and I appreciate any help. I can't keep roosters but was going to wait til I heard crowing...but no crowing yet.

Rock on right...hen? I believe both Orps here are hens.

This is the one we suspect is a rooster...

Same golden "guy" on foreground right in this pic....

Hen or rooster? I'm thinking hen

I have 6 Buff Orps and 4 Barred Rocks and I'm trying to determine if I have any roosters. Some of them got bigger combs a lot earlier than others, next week they are 6 months old. Only 3 are laying so far, I know at least two of those laying are the Rocks and the other may be an Orp. I'm posting pics of the ones in question and there may be some hens I'm sure of in that mix too....although their combs are bigger, their tails look like hen tails and they don't have the angular body of a rooster so perhaps all 10 are hens? 10 for 10...when does that ever happen? Let me know what you think
smile.png
and I appreciate any help. I can't keep roosters but was going to wait til I heard crowing...but no crowing yet.

Rock on right...hen? I believe both Orps here are hens.

This is the one we suspect is a rooster...

Same golden "guy" on foreground right in this pic....

Hen or rooster? I'm thinking hen
all hens! and beautiful hens at that! they all look to be at POL (point of lay) so that is why their combs and wattles are getting bigger and redder.

Wow you all agree all hens! That is surprising....though lately with no crowing I was getting starting to wonder. Some of them have starting getting in the position to be mounted when I go to pet them and someone told me that a rooster needs to teach them that so I was thinking I had one. But I wonder if that goldy with the big red comb and throttle is actually the one laying those nice big brown eggs.

And they are spoiled rotten! Organic grain diet with daily scratch and every few days a nice veggie to pick at, along with some free range time. Yup spoiled but happy.

Last edited:
Wow you all agree all hens! That is surprising....though lately with no crowing I was getting starting to wonder. Some of them have starting getting in the position to be mounted when I go to pet them and someone told me that a rooster needs to teach them that so I was thinking I had one. But I wonder if that goldy with the big red comb and throttle is actually the one laying those nice big brown eggs.

And they are spoiled rotten! Organic grain diet with daily scratch and every few days a nice veggie to pick at, along with some free range time. Yup spoiled but happy.
I have never owned a rooster and all of my hens crouch when I get close so I don't think they need a roo to teach them, it's instinct. I think you have an all girls club going there!

thats a natural behavior that a rooster doesn't need to be around for. the only thing that he needs to be around for is to fertilize eggs though they also help protect the flock as well

Thanks again everyone. I think about 4 of my 9 girls are laying. I had 10 up until last Sunday when one suddenly died. Boy were they all distraught that day because she was the alpha hen too! I'm happy I don't have to get rid of any because they are all so unique with their little personalities. More of the Orps are getting larger crowns and much redder so they should all be laying soon.

Back
Top Bottom