1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need a little help with my Silky Bantams

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sjsoucie, Aug 29, 2013.

1. sjsoucie

sjsoucie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    So... A few questions for those who have owned Silkies before...
    There was a mix up at the hardware store where I got them and I ended up with 13 Silky Bantams and 1 Barred Rock, will this full size bird pick on my bantams? They are only about a month old and the Barred Rock towers over them...
    Second question:
    What size plastic leg bands will fit them when they are full grown?
    Third question:
    An other woops on from the hardware shop, my chicks were ordered straight run... some of them already are acting/ are showing signs of being roosters... can multiple roosters be kept together?

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Your Barred Rock will be just fine in there, especially if they are raised together.

I don't know about bands.

Silkie boys often get along together, especially if raised together. I'd not worry for now. However, if you have more than one rooster per 5 hens with silkies, that may be too many boys and they may overmate the hens. But you are a long way from having to worry about that if they are only a month old.

Some people make a cockerel pen (a bachelor pad) if they want to keep a LOT of roosters permanently.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  4. sjsoucie

sjsoucie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    Thank you for answering my questions!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] silkies are difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. old. There are numerous dedicated silkie threads on BYC. One of my favorites is The Silkie Thread - if you put that in the search box it should pop up and you could subscribe to it. The silkie people are really the best ones to ask breed specific questions.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you in our flock!! Good luck and best wishes!

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Good luck with your flock.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Raised together, full sized birds and silkies should get along just fine. Although the roosters may get along fine, too many roosters in the flock is not a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by