Need a Predator Proof Coop and Run

Lil'Nugget

Hatching
Nov 17, 2017
We've had an attack by a bobcat in the middle of the day and caught it on camera. I'm devastated as I feel it was under my watch. These are my kids pets. I went inside for 15 min and it happened. We've only had chickens a little while and either need to build Fort Knox or throw in the towel. We have 3 bantams left as he thankfully only took one. We'd like 6-10. Any suggestions for a predator proof coop and area for them to "free range" in a protected area? How big should it be? Chainlink or a wood frame? Right now they have a 10 x 4 x 3ft enclosure but I feel bad keeping them cooped up. We have a lot of raccoons and hawks too. If you have any pictures or links, that would be helpful.

Just be sure you lock your coop every night, use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire, have your run covered. Also it would help if the coop was on a hard, non-diggable surface like concrete, or add a hardware cloth skirt around the perimeter, then cover with dirt, so animals won't dig under.
When free-ranging, try to supervise your chickens all the time, or your kids can let them out for about 30-40 minutes per day, while hanging out with them, then put them back in. Or set up an electric fence for your chickens to range in.
If you do decide that free ranging is not worth it, just make sure your chickens have plenty of room in their coop to not get bored or cramped.
Loss to predators is part of the chicken experience. Just know it wasn't anyone's fault. I'm sorry about your experiences and wish you best of luck. :hugs

Last edited:
Sorry to sound like a newbie but what's the best way to put up an electric fence? The area is fenced on 3 sides so would it go on top of the 4 ft fence or lower to the ground like 8 in? I can install something on the one open side too.

I have not used an electric fence, but I think it would need to be at least 6 feet, maybe all around the coop, just a place where they can get out for a bit but predators can't get in. Some predators can jump really high. But I wouldn't worry too much about it in the daytime. There would still be a hawk issue though...Be sure to give them bushes to hide in so the hawks can't get them as good.

I feel for you a dog knocked down my make shift chicken wire T post fence and killed all my chickens and I was only in my shop for 15 minutes. I'm still looking for the one dog that got away. I installed a 5' chain link fence around the chicken yard, built a small run with cage wire (1" x 2" welded wire) and 1x1 welded wire, the coop (red thing) is sealed up with 1/2" hardware cloth with a automagic locking door at night. I still have some chinks in my armor like the deck is not secure yet. I don't have any hawk problems because I'm in a very wooded area with only a small opening where the house is. I also watch the chicken yard with my surveillance cameras while I work. And I have some of those wireless motion alerts to tell me when something passes some openings. And I have a 12 gauge by the shop door...

chicken-yard-01.jpg

JT

Attachments

• chicken-yard-01.jpg
    chicken-yard-01.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom