Need advice about adding to flock in small backyard

Chickens in NM

Hatching
6 Years
May 30, 2013
I have 5 hens, and just had to remove one rooster that was supposed to be a hen. They are about 5-6 months old, EE's and Buff Orpingtons. I am raising these chickens as a hobby with my middle school aged daughter.

I really want to add more hens because we are having a blast with the ones we have. I want more BOs because they are so sweet. I also want to add variety with some other fun birds. We are legally allowed 15 chickens, but I don't know how many I should really keep in a small back yard. They only use the coop for sleeping, our whole backyard is their run.

Will going from 6 birds to 10 or 15 ruin my grass? We have about 500 sq feet of grass and some paved and mulched areas they like to hang out on. The grass is doing we'll with them on it so far.

I want to stick to heavy breeds so they don't fly over the fence into the neighbors yard. I wonder if the noise from 10-15 hens would bother my neighbors. We are pretty close together here in the city.

By the way, I'm thinking of getting some of the following, white or blue orpingtons, australorps, jersey giants and a Marans. It will be so hard to decide.

What do you all think?

welcome-byc.gif

15 chickens will keep your lawn trimmed for sure! And they will be a bit noisy, but if your neighbours' haven't complained about the chicken noise so far, they may not mind. I think it would be a good idea to warn them that you will be adding to the flock soon and give them a chance to raise any concerns they may have. Though I found a free box of lovely fresh eggs now and then does go a long way towards keeping neighbours happy
wink.png

They do like to roll around in the mulch area. It's my son's playground area. They push the mulch out of the way so they can get to the dirt. They love the playground toys too. :D

Trimmed grass is fine, but I don't want the grass to die or be completely eaten away. We have a Gravel front yard. I want the backyard to stay nice and green. I wonder how much chicken poop 500 sq feet of grass can absorb?

welcome-byc.gif

15 chickens will keep your lawn trimmed for sure! And they will be a bit noisy, but if your neighbors' haven't complained about the chicken noise so far, they may not mind. I think it would be a good idea to warn them that you will be adding to the flock soon and give them a chance to raise any concerns they may have. Though I found a free box of lovely fresh eggs now and then does go a long way towards keeping neighbours happy
wink.png
X2! and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom