Need Advice about my meat birds!!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by shotill, Jun 30, 2010.

1. shotill

shotill New Egg

Jun 12, 2010
    New to raising meat birds.
    I had a bird flip at four weeks and another one last night (6 weeks). Just wondering if this is normal. I feed 12on and 12 off. They are free range and have been outside for about a week and a half..all day. I do offer flock raiser to them all day..should I restrict it? These are the only two I have lost out of 35 so far......

Secondly...can't them to go in the coop at night. The coop is portable so it sits up about a foot and a half off the ground. I block it off around 8pm so they can't settle in under the coop. I usually end up going out at 9pm and picking up sleeping chickens and putting them to bed!

Suggestions? Thanks.

Liz in Minnesota!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Meaties are not the Sharpest tool in the shed as for the deaths They do just kinda keel over sometimes. I have the same problem at night with my cornish so I just jump in the car and drive mad speeds at them honking the horn and my partner lifts the cage and they all run in. Other then that its catch them sleeping. [​IMG]

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    It does take awhile for them to go inside. I've put a few in at night before.[​IMG] I feed a meat bird ration, not the flock raiser.

4. shotill

shotill New Egg

Jun 12, 2010
    Thanks! this helps. At least they pretty much stop moving after dark so they are easier to put in....
    I have only lost a couple which from what I can tell, isn't too bad for first try.

Hmmm..maybe will try the car! At least for a good laugh. Thanks.

5. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:[​IMG]

How many do you have that you have to use a car to round them up!!???!?!???!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by