need advice about wire

buddymc

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Next big purchase (unfortunately) will be all the wire / fencing I need. I don't have any I can recycle. So on that note.....

1.) What should I be using to screen in the coop vents / windows? (gauge and wire type).
2.) What should I use for the main fencing on the run? (gauge and wire type)
3.) Do I use the same wire on the "skirt and buried at the bottom" of the run as I did on the vents / windows?

Lord I dread buying all this wire. Any idea who has the best prices? Home Depot (charge it!), Tractor Store, Lowes???

Quote:
I used 1/4 inch hardware cloth for everything. It is more expensive than regular chicken wire but it also stands up better to predators and the elements. Sometimes you can find it cheaper at one of the smaller type hardware stores. You can also go to the post office and get a packet for moving, inside there will be a 10% off coupon for either Lowes or Home Depot (usually its one or the other).

I used poultry wire everywhere. (yes its cheaper)
the windows i used the hardwire cloth.(yes its more expensive ) I also buried 12 inches from the ground up along the sides with hardwire cloth. i also poured cement into the 2x4 and fencing along the bottom. it has weathered good for the last 2 years.
good luck.
smile.png

I just bought my chicken wire yesterday from Home Depot. 1 - 4ft x 25ft = $26.47 1 - 3ft x 50ft = $32.70

It has 1" holes. I hope that it will keep out the Sparrows.

Quote:
Unless you have no predators, the chicken wire wont protect the birds from anything. 1" holes are in invitation for somthing nasty to reach through and grab a chicken pulling it out little parts at a time. NO BUENO!

I have 1/4 and 1/2 in hardware cloth over my windows and runs, also buried an apron to prevent diggers.

Quote:
Unless you have no predators, the chicken wire wont protect the birds from anything. 1" holes are in invitation for somthing nasty to reach through and grab a chicken pulling it out little parts at a time. NO BUENO!

I have 1/4 and 1/2 in hardware cloth over my windows and runs, also buried an apron to prevent diggers.

X2
big_smile.png

Quote:
I would say that by far the best choice is 1/2" galvanized hardware cloth. Personally I see no point in 1/4" hardwarecloth for this, it is a lot more expensive and provides no extra benefits. Other welded wire mesh materials have too-big holes, and 1/2" poultry wire (hex) is not very strong.

2.) What should I use for the main fencing on the run? (gauge and wire type)

'Sup to you. Depends how you feel about costs, also about risks.

If your main problem is small to mid-sized predators rather than dogs/coyotes/bears, the *safest* thing is probably very high quality 1/2" galvanized-after-weld hardware cloth for the entire run, sides and top as well. This is pretty expensive, also harder to see the chickens thru.

If you want the most budget-friendly option that is still reasonably safe as long as you lock the chickens indoors every day by dusk without fail, I would suggest 4-5' high 2x4" welded wire, good livestock quality not garden-grade stuff, with something smaller mesh added to the bottom 2-3' to prevent reach-through 'incidents'. Leaving the top open is a lot cheaper but allows occasional hawk attacks; deer netting is reasonable vs hawks although if you have a lot of raccoons or heavy snowfalls they may ruin that on a regular basis.

or anything in between.

My runs are mostly either 1x1 welded wire mesh, or heavy-gauge tightly-installed chainlink, with plastic mesh along the bottom parts to prevent reach-thru. Full solid shed-style roofs over the runs. I lock the chickens indoors every night by dusk. But that's just me; everyone's situation is different.

3.) Do I use the same wire on the "skirt and buried at the bottom" of the run as I did on the vents / windows?

Don't do skirt AND buried at bottom -- one or the other (both is redundant). I would use the same thing you use on the run fencing, but not hardwarecloth (no real purpose to spending that much money on it - 1x1 is the smallest mesh you'd get ANY benefit from, on an apron, and really 2x4 works just about as well). Make sure it is heavy gauge and well-galvanized, b/c it WILL rust anyhow and you want it to last as long as possible.

Lord I dread buying all this wire. Any idea who has the best prices? Home Depot (charge it!), Tractor Store, Lowes???

You'll have to phone or drive around to compare, because it depends HEAVILY on where you happen to live. Try those places, but also check out your local feedstores, which can sometimes surprise ya. Make sure you are comparing equivalent quality (gauge of wire, and type of galvanization, and quality of welds) or mentally compensating for different-quality material when you weigh the prices.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

I went with 1/2" galvanized hardware cloth covering everything, including the apron. Wherever we couldn't attach the cloth with 3/4" poultry staples (not using staples from the staple gun because they come out too easy and the ladies could eat the fallen ones) we overlapped the cloth and wired it together. I avoided Home Depot because they didn't have the size I needed the most of-48"/4' tall-and instead found a hardware store that sold it to measure. Got a nice deal!I avoided poultry fencing entirely because the coons in my neck of the country can tear through it easily. I wouldn't use anything larger then 1/2" personally because it just isn't secure enough for my region.

Quote:
Not only that, but the gauge usually goes up, too. It's hard to find 1/4" wire in less than 23 gauge, and that's pretty thin wire.

Back
Top Bottom