1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice ASAP!! Lockdown is tomorrow!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KatieBugg, Jan 19, 2011.

1. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    I am on day 17 today and when I checked the eggs this morning I notice wiggling and roccking in the turner, my gut told me to get the turner out, the eggs are rocking like crazy once layed on thier side. My question is should I go ahead and do lock down or continue and turn the eggs by hand today and do lockdown tomorrow?????? I was pretty calm through this whole thing now I am anxious as all get out!!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I would turn again in a couple of hours and then tonight, put them in modified cartons and up the humidity to 62%-65%, eggs with fat end up so that the first hatchers don't play soccer with the other eggs... unless you are in a tiny incubator and then it won't matter.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Good luck, [​IMG]

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Stick to the plan!

wait 1 more day for lock down. Definatley up the humidity so they dont' stick to the shell & let 'em do their thing!

I am using egg cartons - but have not decided if I will keep them in these during lock down.

Lots of people do. I probably will too....maybe.

5. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    I do have cartons ready for the lockdown, but forgot about them when I took the turner out lol....not sure if I will put them in or not for hatching, something I just can't decide which is better on. What is the real advantage to the cartons for hatching other then eggs not rolling around?

6. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I had 24 eggs, 2 of each. 1 of each in carton, 1 of each on bottom. I'm trying to give them a 50/50 shot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by