Need Advice! ASAP!

EmAbTo48

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Northern Wisconsin
So we purchased (like usual for the last 3 years) our 50 ringneck pheasant chicks from our AG store on Tuesday... Well its Saturday and we have lost 7 chicks!!!!!!! I have never had this happen in the last past years we did this usually its 1 or 2! It has been extremely hot out 80-90 which is unusal for this time usually still is in the 70-80s. I have watched them closely and they all seemed so active and great for the first 2 days and then I would find 1 or 2 flattened and dead when I would come home from work.

I am at a loss as what is going on.. I don't want to lose more. They are being fed pheasant feed, They are in a large water tank that is used for cows in our barn with a heat lamp that we raised up yesterday cause they were so spread away from it.... They have baby waterer with rocks in it that now that they are a week old we have removed a lot of the rocks...

We were seeing one peck at others but not to the point of pushing them down and pecking them like crazy!

Any words of wisdom would be great!

These chicks are for hunting dogs/ the ones that get away are left to be free (last past year we have put out probably 75 birds in our area and have seen a great increase in breeding etc.

They are in a large water tank that is used for cows in our barn with a heat lamp that we raised up yesterday cause they were so spread away from it.... They have baby waterer with rocks in it that now that they are a week old we have removed a lot of the rocks...

We were seeing one peck at others but not to the point of pushing them down and pecking them like crazy!
It sounds like you are over crowding them. I Would seperate half of them in another tank. Also they are moving away from the heat as they get warm and when they get cold move back to the light but if you have to many they will pile on top of each other to get to the heat.
Also another indication they are over crowed is if they start to peck each other and once they start to bleed they are doomed unless you pill that chick out because they won't stop.
Hope this helps you, Good Luck,
Patty

I don't think its overcrowding since its one of the giant giant water tanks for cows. Plus we have used it every year and had no issues. Hmmm the heat thing could be happening. Its just frustrating losing chicks daily thanks!

i'll never raise ringnecks again because i started with about 100, ended up with 4 adults! one of the adults broke his neck on the wire, i'll stick with my red goldens, they're a little calmer and less cannibalistic, plus prettier
tongue.png

i'll never raise ringnecks again because i started with about 100, ended up with 4 adults! one of the adults broke his neck on the wire, i'll stick with my red goldens, they're a little calmer and less cannibalistic, plus prettier
tongue.png
I would love to get colored ones! But we only raise to then release/ dog training. And if we released colored ones I don't even know if thats legal here...

Tell us more about the "pheasant feed" you are feeding them. What is the protein percentage, is it starter non-medicated feed ? Are you using any vitimins or electrolites in your water? I don't think you have an over heating problem. I like to keep my day to week old chicks at a constant 95 to 98 degrees.

What is the temp in your makeshift brooder?It has to be 95 degrees for the 1st week and then drop 5 degrees for the next 4 weeks.By then the should be feathered out and no longer need heat unless it is very cold.What kinda feed you giving them?They should be on an unmedicated gamebird and turkey starter crumble.Are they getting a draft?What are you using for their bedding?Is their water supply to close to the heat lamp and their water is very hot?
In N.H.,Tony.

What is the temp in your makeshift brooder?It has to be 95 degrees for the 1st week and then drop 5 degrees for the next 4 weeks.By then the should be feathered out and no longer need heat unless it is very cold.What kinda feed you giving them?They should be on an unmedicated gamebird and turkey starter crumble.Are they getting a draft?What are you using for their bedding?Is their water supply to close to the heat lamp and their water is very hot?
In N.H.,Tony.

It is un medicated game bird crumble I can't recall the name at the moment its in a blue bag with a pheasant on it. I am going to move the heat lamp farther from the feed and water. I am hoping we wont lose anymore!

It is un medicated game bird crumble I can't recall the name at the moment its in a blue bag with a pheasant on it. I am going to move the heat lamp farther from the feed and water. I am hoping we wont lose anymore!
Well you answered 1 of the 5 questions asked.You really gave us no info and keep us guessing at what the problem is.If you give us the answers,we can figure this out.I thought yo wanted to figure it out,not see if we got the problem right!
A blue bag is probably blue seal.
In N.H.,Tony.

What is the temp in your makeshift brooder?It has to be 95 degrees for the 1st week and then drop 5 degrees for the next 4 weeks.By then the should be feathered out and no longer need heat unless it is very cold.What kinda feed you giving them?They should be on an unmedicated gamebird and turkey starter crumble.Are they getting a draft?What are you using for their bedding?Is their water supply to close to the heat lamp and their water is very hot?
In N.H.,To
The temp is at 90 degrees in the brooder, they are not by drafts they are in a well enclosed barn. Feed unmedicated Game feed. The bedding is newspaper still. We moved the water farther but I don't think it was to close to the heat source..

Today I went out to check we have lost a=now a running total of 11 chicks. I check on them again with in 15 mintues after doing all my other chores for the morning and we lost another now leaving us at 12! I opened this chick up and couldnt' find anything that looked abnormal besides a bone that seemed to be prutruding farther out then it should but.. again this could just be the breast bone I am not 100%. They aren't jumping off high places they have the feeder, and waterer and are in a level tank. I am thinking something is wrong with chicks and its not what we are doing. We will be calling our feed store to see if anyone else has reported problems with this batch of chicks as it was the first they sold all year they have 2 dates they sell pheasant chicks this is the first.

Back
Top Bottom