Need advice...Chick Problem?

HugHess

Chickrack Addict
5 Years
Jul 14, 2014
Go BROWNS
This chick is the only one of 15 to hatch. I have never seen such a distended abdomen. The chicks legs are spread to the side, I assume because of the swollen gut. I have never seen this before!? Any insight or advice? I would appreciate it. TIA.

Poor little guy . Looks like omphalitis or yolk sack bacteria. Here's an article that explains the possible causes.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis[/quote]

I did not think of that off the bat. This will make me crazy(er) because I had four healthy hatches previous to this. I use one styro to incubate and another to hatch. Only two eggs went into hatcher and they went in their own clean and unused container.
Staggered hatch too, got 90% of one and 65% of shabbily shipped eggs. Then this batch!
The real kicker is that this is the first set of eggs that I ever disinfected before setting. Made sure solution was room temp like the eggs. Allowed them to completely air dry, etc., by the book, per se. I use sterile latex gloves after washing, or using hand sanitizer, from the elbow down(!) Grrrr...
So if it weren't for bad luck, I would have no luck(?) Ugh.
Well, I appreciate the wake-up 'call'. Thanks.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I am a faaaareak about cleanliness. These eggs were shipped dirty to dirtier. I took the cleanest of the bunch and dipped them in disinfectant then lightly blotted them with paper towels. They were with three other staggered hatches and those were fine.
I use hand sanitizer from my elbows down and sterile gloves on top of that. My bators are thrice sterilized, depending on the part.
IDK...Live n learn, I guess. 'Bubbles' is still kickin'...se la vie...we shall see...

Back
Top Bottom