Need advice!! Choosing a Blue Ameraucana Rooster to breed with.

riverman

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 15, 2010
Central Tx
I've got 3 Blue Ameraucana Roosters and I'm culling 2 of them tonight or tomorrow evening, so I've got to decide which one to keep! 2 of them (Rooster A & B) have some slight gold leakage on their backs and the 3rd(Rooster C) is from another bloodline and has no strange colors, buuut 1 of the Roo's with gold leakage also has the better body type I would say. So I'm having a dispute on either the better body type or the better coloring for now. The 3rd Rooster (no gold leak) looks great except for his legs, they kind of look a little short. I dont know too much on the smaller qualities being looked for in the Ameraucana Roosters(such as leg length and tail shape) so I'm hoping to get some experienced breeders feedback. Here's some pics.

Rooster A(the biggest Roo with best body type but gold leakage)
73935_blue_ameraucana_rooster_a_1.jpg

73935_blue_ameraucana_rooster_a_2.jpg

73935_blue_ameraucana_rooster_a_3.jpg

Rooster B(middle sized-gold leakage, most likely getting culled i believe)
73935_blue_ameraucana_rooster_b_1.jpg

Here is Rooster C
73935_blue_ameraucana_rooster_1.jpg

73935_blue_ameraucana_rooster_1_2.jpg

73935_blue_ameraucana_rooster_1s_feet_3.jpg

I greatly appreciate any and all advice or feedback. Thank you and peace

C for sure. You never want to use any birds with gold or silver leakage. Bigger pictures would help but I can't see any big flaws in him. I see that his wing is a bit droopy. Is it hot? I also see he is pretty flush in the face. So I suspect that its a bit warm in your direction. I'd also like to see his tall at more of a 45* angle per the standard. I don't see a problem with the length of the leg on him. According to the standard you want them "medium length".

Thanks TK. Yeah its around or over 100 degrees everyday down here this time of year, that's the reason for the droopy wings. I'll get some bigger pictures of him up here tomorrow.

Is the gold leakage a super recessive gene? Because the man I got these Ameraucanas from has been breeding them forever and not one of them at his house had any discoloring. If so will that gold streak gene be in all the hens I got from him as well? My three hens are beautiful with not a hint of random gold. Is it only a color gene that appears in the Roosters hackle/saddle feathers?

Its not a super recessive but you never want to breed any with any discoloration. I would just do a test breeding with them. It could be possible all the gold leakage ones are full siblings. You can have gold leakage in hens but you see it more often in roosters.

Back
Top Bottom