Need advice creating a secure coop - particularly from raccoons

Oh, wonderful. The door is really thick, solid wood so I don't think they could shred their way through it, I'd just be worried about them opening it like they did the egg door (that we had to permanently close off). Maybe there's a way we can fashion it to lock at night?

Ideally I'll be able to keep them out of the run entirely so they won't be able to even access that door, because we lost most of our chickens during the daytime last summer when the raccoons broke in.
I missed saying above that I'm sorry that you've already had issues with the raccoons.
They are a difficult predator to deal with. They are so incredibly strong and so incredibly skilled with those hands of theirs.

Solid wood is good. If it was individual boards they can pull those off if they are really determined. If a house sits vacant for a couple of years, there have been instances where raccoons have broken through the roofs to gain access.

In our case they didn't shred the door like the mink, they broke a section of the door inwards and entered through the broken part. It was an eye-opener for us. Those doors shut tight and there is no access for their paws.

Good idea. The run isn't chain link, it looks like this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lucky-Do...75035&wl11=online&wl12=36442142&wl13=&veh=sem

But is much larger since we bought panels and custom sized it. Then we have the welded wire around the bottom because at the time we had some smaller birds that we were afraid would get through.
Nice! I've often wondered if I should have gone with that type dog run. I will be extending my run by adding 1 more 10x10. It will take it from a 10x10 to a 10x30. Gonna have to invest in hardware cloth!

following this- we are needing to build our coop against racoons, hawks, coyotes- we have a 4ft chain link fence around the yard but most can climb that. Also we have lots of moles in our yard but what i have read the chickens actually catch the moles? is that correct.
You need to also stop diggers which includes everything from mice, rats, and snakes to fox and dogs. Dig down at least 2 feet along the run perimeter and bury hardware cloth. Or attach a 2ft wide apron of the same cloth making sure it stays flat. Stones work well for that.

I missed saying above that I'm sorry that you've already had issues with the raccoons.
They are a difficult predator to deal with. They are so incredibly strong and so incredibly skilled with those hands of theirs.

Solid wood is good. If it was individual boards they can pull those off if they are really determined. If a house sits vacant for a couple of years, there have been instances where raccoons have broken through the roofs to gain access.

In our case they didn't shred the door like the mink, they broke a section of the door inwards and entered through the broken part. It was an eye-opener for us. Those doors shut tight and there is no access for their paws.

You comments and your photos are eyeopening. I do not often think of smaller animals as being as strong as they really are. I like to think my coop is "predator proof" but I know that there are animals that could just rip a plywood wall off if they really wanted. I have no doubts that a badger or a coyote or a bear could break into anything it really wanted to :( We do the best we can and take care of our flocks as best we can, but short of a concrete bomb shelter, I fear there will always be ways in for a determined predator.

Electrify the perimeter. 8000 volts on a pulse zap will psychologically deter them.
electro-lizzy.gif

We also have a anti-raccoon device:
676A2547.JPG
Coons don't leave our property alive that often.
coon.jpg
He may be a cute and cuddley doggie, but a viscous beast on intruders invading our property.
676A2495.JPG

You need to also stop diggers which includes everything from mice, rats, and snakes to fox and dogs. Dig down at least 2 feet along the run perimeter and bury hardware cloth. Or attach a 2ft wide apron of the same cloth making sure it stays flat. Stones work well for that.

We're planning on putting the whole thing on top of a concrete pad, then covering that with dirt. So that should stop the diggers. We thought buried wire would be enough, but it wasn't.

I'm fairly concerned about other predators, but in my experience nothing is as hard to deal with as raccoons. Of course, I'm in Kansas so we don't have bears. :)

The permanent roof is a good suggestion. The tarp is pretty well secured down but I wouldn't put it past them! I'll add that to my list of to-dos, I'm sure my dad could build a roof no problem.

You definitely need a roof on your run.

Also, I would think about trying to trap and/or kill the raccoons regularly. There are a number of "hazing" techniques to try. But if those don't work, and it doesn't sound like they will, control the population of the predators (depending on the laws).

You comments and your photos are eyeopening. I do not often think of smaller animals as being as strong as they really are. I like to think my coop is "predator proof" but I know that there are animals that could just rip a plywood wall off if they really wanted. I have no doubts that a badger or a coyote or a bear could break into anything it really wanted to :( We do the best we can and take care of our flocks as best we can, but short of a concrete bomb shelter, I fear there will always be ways in for a determined predator.
It does seem predators are relentless. Just when you think you've got everything fixed perfectly another type of predator shows up.

The building I showed is not even my coop, it's our tractor shed that I commandeered for the winter. I agree as well with Farmer Connie about the electric wire. We are using it for a run, our coop is inside. The wire is not as vicious in winter, but it certainly helps.
I view removal as a key to success in our situation. The wildlife have thousands of acres of land to live. I only need these few acres. If they are determined to be an issue, they will be dealt with accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom