Need advice following predator attack, cochin roo in sad shape.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by geckobass5, Aug 25, 2010.

1. geckobass5

geckobass5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    lee county
    You can see the request for medical advice on the first aid page but I wondering what did this. I went out into the yard, There were @8 bantams and EE in a chicken wire pen, untouched. All the free ranging birds had scattered. One hen lost with just a few dozen feathers by the pool, My nasty banty cochin roo who was going to go out for adoption because he is a bully wobbled out of the forest with a limp, something tore all the feathers from the coxyis, it's bare and red, a good number of plumage is gone from his hackle feathers. He appears to be in shock.

Who attacks during the day, leaves no blood, just some feathers.

The cochin who survived (for now) lost a lot more feathers ( very cleanly and uniformly. looks like you took a belt sander to his butt) than the hen.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    If none of the birds were eaten it was a dog...my guess would be a small one.

3. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    A member of the canine family (fox, wolf, coyote, dog), hawks and other larger birds of prey.

A canine may get a snout full of feathers and not otherwise damage the bird (this is frequently the case with a dog), a hawk will leave you with a pile of feathers and no body (provided it has enough time). Several birds of prey will make off with the bird and eat it elsewhere there may or may not be a few feathers (that you'd recognize as a point of attack) where the bird was taken.

Birds that survive the attack are frequently in shock, you need to put the attacked bird in a quiet warm low light area, provide it with plenty of water and food. You might want to put some electrolytes into the water. They also respond well to high protein treats.

Be certain to look the bird over for puncture wounds, which should be cleaned and have some antibiotic ointment without pain relief put around the wound.

They usually will respond in a few days, just keep them quiet and make certain they eat, drink, and the wound (if any) stays clean and and is healing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by